File searching has gone crazy!

fudge 17:56 11 Jan 04

Two odd things are now happening on my system, which is running Win ME.

Firstly, if I use the search facility to look for files it just keeps repeating which files it finds. The result is a very slow search and one that would probably continue for ever if I let it!! Whilst it is displaying all the repeated files, if I click on one (any one) and delete it the search immediately stops and the file deletes OK. If there are files to find it usually finds them quickly (and then repeats them) but if there are no files the search just continues and goes through the same folders over and over.

Secondly (and I don't know if there is any connection with the above)I was clearing out the C:windows/temp folder and came across a folder called ''. When I checked the properties of this it contains all the contents of my C drive but it won't unzip. The properties box shows the file size and number of files within it as a continuously growing number, reaching ridiculous levels (like 1000's of Gb's in size!!) I don't recognise this file and with it behaving like this I am reluctant to delete it.

Could these be virus related? I have run a check with an uptodate virus scan and it found nothing.

Has anyone any idea what's causing either of these things?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…