File retrieval from dead 98SE to new XP computer

P-300 19:24 20 Dec 05

Recently the processor in my old computer failed and the cost to fix it meant it was better to buy a new one...which I have!

However, is there any way I can retrieve some of the files from the HD and restore them on my new PC? I had back up copies of most of my important files but I did have a rather large and informative address book which I would dearly love to get access to.

What do I have to do in order to get info from the old HD on a PC that does not start up, and then how do I place it in the correct location? (Please assume I am a beginner).

Thanks in anticipation...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:35 20 Dec 05

Remove hard drive from old PC and fit as slave in new PC

or fit into an external caddy and attatch to new PC (means you do not have to open case and invalidate any gaurentees) { also means you can use as spare / backp drive after extracting your files}

once connected to new PC

Search your old computer drive for files ending .dbx. These are your emails. There should be Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx, Drafts.dbx etc. There must also be Folders.dbx, this is the data telling OE how the emails are compressed. Save all these dbx files, then you can either import them into OE on your new computer, or overwrite the files of the same name in the new computer. Look for a file called (name).wab, this is your address book, and a folder called Favorites. Save these and either import or overwrite to transfer them.

P-300 20:37 20 Dec 05

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\...

Sounds like I need to purchase an "external caddy". Do you recommend anything in particular, and is it something you can plug into a USB port? (showing my ignorance here aren't I?)

Also, I haven't mentioned that the two PC's are 'family' PC's and several users used their own logons and passwords. Will this be an additional problem when trying to retrieve the particular address book I want?

VoG II 20:46 20 Dec 05

You may need to take ownership of the files and folders click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:51 20 Dec 05

Caddy click here

P-300 19:05 28 Dec 05

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\,

I have purchased a CF100-NEB Gigapod caddy but the installation CD has 6 set-up files, 510U, 510UI, FI310, FI320, FU310, FU320. Which one do I select!

I take it the old HDD does not have to be re-formatted because I want to retrieve data from it? Sorry to be so ignorant but I don't want to destroy any files.

Thanks...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:11 28 Dec 05

before worrying abot set-up files see if windows will recognse the caddy without.

Insert the drive in the caddy make sure the drives jumper is set as Master,put the CD in the drive.

plug in USB cable and power up the cadyy from its mains adaptor,

Hopefully windows will see new hardware and look for the drivers for itad search the CD and install them.

P-300 16:29 01 Jan 06

I have managed to connect and retrieve the address book from the old HDD...

However, how do I now 'overwrite' or import the old address book to the new address book? I can't seem to import it because the option is greyed out!

(thanks for your help so far and happy New Year to all)

woodchip 16:33 01 Jan 06

Yes Buy a External USB caddy and you can then fit it in that, and use it as a Backup Drive also after

Taff™ 17:07 01 Jan 06

In XP open Address Book from Start>All Programs>Accessories - That way you should get the import option. By the way, is the new address book empty anyway? If so why not try simply moving the old file to the current files location (Overwrite)as Fruit Bat is suggesting.

P-300 18:16 01 Jan 06

Taff™

I have tried the Start>All Programs... route and the import option is still greyed out.

How do you actually overwrite MY Address Book, being aware that other users on the computer have their own address books? I thought it might be a simple copy and paste function leaving the original on the old drive, but that doesn't work. Please simplify as much as possible.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…