File and Printer sharing :- security

spargo 10:58 14 Aug 05

A friend has two computers networked via a router, both can access the web no probs.
One computer has a printer attached and I suggested it would make life easier if he set up the printer as shared and so be able to use it from either computer. He agreed this would be useful but having read various articles on the Net was very concerned about the security issue.
eg.
click here click here and
click here click here

Is he wise to be worried or are the chances of being 'hacked' very small?
I would be very interested in your opinions on this matter.

Forum Editor 11:40 14 Aug 05

being compromised because file and printer sharing is enabled are so remote as to be hardly worth worrying about.

I must have seen hundreds of such networks over the past few years, and I have not heard of a single instance of any of them being 'hacked' because of file and printer sharing.

A theoretical risk exists, but then a theoretical risk exists that my house will be struck by an inbound meteorite at 10 o'clock tomorrow morning. I'm not planning to move out.

spargo 12:23 14 Aug 05

Thank you FE, that's what I thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…