file & printer sharing probs

EmptyJay 16:40 28 Apr 05

Using a wireless netgear adsl router. Internet connection sharing works ok, but can't share files/printers over network. Host pc can ping client ok, but client can't ping host (times out). Have a suspicion client doesn't know it's the client as when i ran Network Setup Wizard on it the wizard never asked. Help!

LeadingMNMs 20:59 28 Apr 05

Could a firewall on the host be blocking the clients ping ?

EmptyJay 21:17 28 Apr 05

could be i guess. would i be ok running without the XP SP2 firewall and just using the routers?

mgmcc 15:56 29 Apr 05

<<<would i be ok running without the XP SP2 firewall and just using the routers?>>>

As the router and SP2's firewall both act only on incoming traffic, I would suggest installing something like Zone Alarm and disabling SP2's firewall. This will additionally control what programs in your PC can access the internet. Zone Alarm has a "trusted zone" in which you enter the IP addresses of the networked PCs so that traffic between them isn't blocked.

I would suspect that the SP2 firewall is preventing the file/printer sharing from working.

EmptyJay 20:00 29 Apr 05

Turned off Norton Internet Security's Firewall (SP2 firewall was already turned off), and now both pc's can ping each other, but still can't share printers or files. Any ideas?

CLONNEN 13:37 05 May 05

Do your User Accounts have passwords on them? On my home network having passwords on the Administrator and Guest accounts turned out to be blocking the file sharing capabilities of the network.

Try giving these accounts blank passwords and see if file sharing works properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…