File and printer sharing

avesnes1 10:13 12 Jul 07

I have not been able to share files or the common printer between a wired HP Pavilion desktop and a wireless Compac Presario laptop, both of which are accessing the internet successfully via an Orange Livebox.

Reading old threads imply that the problem might be the firewalls (Zone Alarm on the desktop, Norton 2007on the laptop). When I look at the "Trusted Zones" in the firewalls, they ask for the IP address of the other computer.

Perhaps I have missed something obvious, but I would appreciate any guidance as to where to find the IP addresses. (The XP firewalls on both machines are disabled.)

robbiepaul79 11:06 12 Jul 07

Check the Internet and Network Connections (Control Panel) should be able to get information about IP's from there

T0SH 18:43 12 Jul 07

Try right clicking on the (flashing monitor`s) connected icon near the clock select "Status" clicking on the "Support Tab" will show you your currently assigned IP address, clicking on the "Details" button will give you all your LAN connection information

Cheers HC

mgmcc 08:32 13 Jul 07

It appears that the Livebox has an IP address of 192.168.1.1 so, rather than mess about with individual IP addresses in your firewall settings, see if you can enter the "Subnet". Then, if a computer's IP address changes, you won't have a problem.

In Zone Alarm, click the Firewall tab at the left and then the Zones tab at the top. Click the "Add" button and select "Subnet", then type in:

IP address - 192.168.1.0

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Description - {anything} but it needs an entry

Click OK and, back in the main window, click Apply. Using the subnet address of 192.168.1.0 will allow access to all addresses from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254

Look for a similar option in Norton Firewall (which I haven't used for many years), although I know McAfee uses the "broadcast" address for the subnet of 192.168.1.255 to achieve the same result.

avesnes1 16:14 13 Jul 07

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions - I'll try them this weekend.

avesnes1 10:47 16 Jul 07

mgmcc
I followed your instructions for Zone Alarm but I could not find a similar place to put the Subnet Mask numbers into the Norton firewall. I then used TOSH's method and obtained the individual IP address for my desktop and for Madame's laptop. I put the laptop's address into the "trusted" list of Zone Alarm on the desktop and the desktop's address into the "trusted" section of Norton on the laptop.

I have just realised that I did not reboot the two machines but I still could not get from one machine to the "shared documents" on the other.

I am obviously doing something incorrectly so I am going to re-read my files/papers on file sharing.

Also, I would be very grateful if someone could give me an idiot's list of what I should be doing..... purely in the interests of keeping the UK incidence of madness to a minimum!

Thanks for any further guidance.

mgmcc 12:35 16 Jul 07

<<<I followed your instructions for Zone Alarm but I could not find a similar place to put the Subnet Mask numbers into the Norton firewall.>>>

The only version of Norton Firewall that I have is "Personal Firewall 2001" which I have loaded into a Windows 98 laptop.

In the "Internet Zone Control" section I have Trusted and Restricted sections. In the Trusted section if I click Add, I have the option of entering an "Individual" IP address, a "Range" of addresses or a "Network" address. The "Network" address is where I would enter the Subnet address of 192.168.1.0 (note this is a Subnet address, not the Subnet Mask address).

<<<I put the laptop's address into the "trusted" list of Zone Alarm on the desktop and the desktop's address into the "trusted" section of Norton on the laptop.>>>

The whole point of using the Subnet address is so that you don't have to enter individual IP addresses which, depending on the way the router's DHCP server allocates addresses, can change.

avesnes1 13:24 16 Jul 07

mgmcc,
Thanks for the reply. I understand your point about the flexibility of the subnet address, but I tried the fixed address approach out of desperation, not being able to find the correct place in Norton. I'll have another go at it tonight.

mgmcc 14:03 16 Jul 07

Just double check that your router does allocate addresses in the 192.168.1.xxx range, i.e. the third "octet" (number) of the IP addresses is "1", otherwise you must use the number which matches that of the router.

jeano 00:48 06 Aug 07

If its Norton 2007 you are talking about - it took me ages to find this bit too!.

Norton Internet Security Tab
Click settings
Click Personal Firewall, Click configure
THEN look at the left hand pane (why put it there?)Click on Trust Control
Click Trusted Tab then Add - you can then put your IP addresses in there.

I also found the command line utility useful to make sure the IP addresses were right:

run cmd [enter]
ipconfig /all

If you do this on every machine connected to the router you can check the IP address.

Hope this helps. It took me ages to figure out my file sharing and then I found it was the Norton firewalls stopping it. I only resolved it by disconnecting router from phone socket. Disabling Norton firewalls on both machines (Windows firewall already disabled) and I could connect no problem. I then deleted all the trusted details in both machines (one Norton 2004 and the other 2007), re-entered the same details again and it worked (make sure you have enabled the firewall before entering the details as although it will accept the info whilst disabled it doesn't seem to work when you re-enable them). Hope this helps - I'm only a novice but your problem seems similar to one I had.

mgmcc 07:20 08 Aug 07

<<< Click Trusted Tab then Add - you can then put your IP addresses in there.>>>

Presumably Norton 2007 still has the option to enter the "Network Address", which is actually the Subnet, rather than individual IP addresses?

For example, the Subnet Address 192.168.1.0 with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 will allow access to all addresses from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.254

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009