File and printer sharing

Greybeard52 22:17 13 May 07

Sorry to be a pain, but I have read all the printer and file sharing answers to no avail.

I have a Windows XP desktop PC connected to the internet via a wired (LAN) connection to a Dlink wireless ADSL router (DSL-G624T). I then share this internet connection via the wireless function of my Toshiba Laptop (Windows Vista) with no problems. The router only has ethernet post on the back and no other ports.

I would like to access some shared files on the desktop PC from the laptop and vice versa. I also have a HP deskjet 5940 connected to the desktop via a USB cable. I would like to share this printer with the laptop. Is this possible with the setup I have?

If so, how do I do it?

Thanks
Greybeard52

Ps this was also posted in the helproom but all suggestions so far have proved negative

Ashrich 22:49 13 May 07

Hello Greybeard , assuming you have run the Network Wizard in XP , and turned on file and printer sharing and put the XP machine in to a network ( MSHOME by default ) , go to the Network and Sharing Centre in Vista and turn on ...Network Discovery , File Sharing , Public Folder Sharing , do not turn on ...Printer Sharing , Password Protected sharing ( for now at least ) As you have both connected to the Internet you shouldn't need to do anything else for now . When turning on Network discovery ( drop down via arrow on right ) it will give you the option to change settings , you may need to do this to put the Toshiba into the MSHOME network . Test the network to see if the two PC's can now see each other . For the printer , on the XP machine , go into start/settings/printers , right click on the printer and select properties , the secong tab is marked " sharing " tick the box for " share this printer " if you have a Vista driver for the printer you have the option to load it there , then from the Toshiba go to add a printer , it will ask if it is a network printer , say yes , it will open a box asking you to search for it , do that and when it is found it will draw the preloaded drivers over from your other PC . See how we go from there .

Ashley

Greybeard52 21:44 14 May 07

Tried Netwrok Discovery and allowed all through the Norton Firewall, but the two machine still cannot see each other!

Strawballs 22:44 14 May 07

Try turning off the Norton firewall and check that the windows firewall is also off because it can turn itself on when you dissable 3rd party firewalls, just to try it to rule out firewall one way or the other.

Ashrich 22:54 14 May 07

Have you put the Vista PC into a Private Network ?Open the Network and Sharing Centre , it will tell you which network name you have , and across from it , it says " customise " , make sure it is in a " private " network .

Ashley

brundle 23:31 14 May 07

Sounds as though you need this to enable Vista to see your XP machine in the network places list;
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…