File permissions over a network (Vista)?

mgmcc 09:24 11 Jun 06

I've installed Vista Beta 2 which has a "Public" folder specifically for files that are available over the network - this is already "shared". In the file permissions, it includes "Everyone" and this User has read and write permission.

The problem I have is that I can access and open files hosted in the Vista PC from a Win XP PC, but cannot 'save' changes or create a new file/folder. Access is denied for any 'write' action, although it should be allowed.

Ideas?

ade.h 15:53 11 Jun 06

Ideas? Not many. You're ahead of me here because I haven't tested the Vista beta yet. I'm putting off that pleasure for the moment. Does it respond any better to transferring files into the Public folder from another client, rather than saving them at source?

mgmcc 19:43 11 Jun 06

I've managed to get in to save files and create files/folders by giving my account in Vista a password (I don't normally have any passwords set) and then logging in over the network with the Username & Password. However, this does seem to defeat the purpose of a "Public" folder that should be freely accessible from any other computers in the LAN. ????

ade.h 20:06 11 Jun 06

Hmm, it does!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…