File Open...problem in Office xp - program hangs

consultik 13:43 20 Apr 06

I'm having problems in office applications when trying to open files. If i just click on a recently opened file then no problem, but if i try using file, open... to browse for files then the application hangs and i have to use task manager to close it. The problem is the same in excel and word (but not powerpoint) and i have a similar problem in Outlook when trying to export stuff. I wasn't having these problems last week.

Computer is running xp home and I have used microsoft & windows update in the last week.

Any help appreciated

€dstowe 14:14 20 Apr 06

Can you do a System Restore to last week before this started happening?

consultik 14:26 20 Apr 06

No unfortunately I don't have a recent sytem restore point :(

€dstowe 14:31 20 Apr 06

I know the Windows updates last week are known to have caused some problems but I understood that was to do with HP software.

Can you try to repair your Office installation?

consultik 14:59 20 Apr 06

Thanks £dstowe, I actually went to check what system restore points I had and found one from two weeks ago which has cured my problem. Now I only need to decide what if any of the recent updates i can afford to install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…