//some 3rd party need geo

File names - renaming problem

Rhodie 14:02 17 Dec 03

Using Windows 98 SE.

If I want to rename a file - i.e. text document or windows document or jpeg file, I get message as "if ou change filename extension, then the file may become unstable, are you sure you want to change it. If I accept and change it then it shows and image icon and won't open.
Previously if I wanted to rename a text document I typed in the new name and .txt was added automatically by the computer. Now the only way to change a name is to
a)type in the new name with say .txt or .jpeg at the end
or
b)open the file and save as

Anyone any ideas how to put this right?

Diodorus Siculus 14:13 17 Dec 03

Have you set up Windows to hide known extensions? If you have, that might be the cause of your problem.

I think you can access this via start, settings, folder options.

Gongoozler 14:18 17 Dec 03

It is as Diodorus Siculus says. If you have selected "Hide file extensions for known file types", Windows will assume the extension. If the option is unselected, Windows leaves you in control of the extension. If you are already in Windows Explorer, you get the option via "View - Folder Options - View"

Rhodie 14:51 17 Dec 03

Many thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…