file is missing or corrupt; \windows\system32\conf

smullan_2000 14:52 17 Dec 03

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt; \windows\system32\config\system

you can atempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the orgigional setup cd rom, select r at the first screen to start repair.

i had this problem and was given the solution in

click here

however this is not working as when i press any button to go into dos or restore disk the computer just restarts any other idea

Chegs ® 15:10 17 Dec 03

You have tried F8,restore to previous cfg that worked? Now Recovery Console isn't progressing past blackscreen?

Time to run REPAIR,load XP as normal(pressing Enter instead of "R" for Recovery Console)to setup XP,it then looks for previous installs of XP,again keep pressing Enter until it offers Setup XP/Repair XP/F3 Exit,this might need you to delete the windows folder but should reinstall a fresh XP in its place.If you delete the present XP,you will need to d/l all the updates again.

smullan_2000 15:14 17 Dec 03

when i try to press anything be it f8 or enter or any button it wont do anything, just restarts

Chegs ® 15:17 17 Dec 03

Put your XP cd into drawer,set to boot from it,and it should let you get present install repaired.

smullan_2000 15:34 17 Dec 03

how do i set it to boot from it, can i do that via BIOS, thats the only thing i can get into

Chegs ® 15:49 17 Dec 03

Yes.Sorry,I assumed you knew howto do this.

Stormpool 16:23 17 Dec 03

Bios sequence location is dependant on motherboard bios type.

Del to enter setup

Examples..

Some Asus mobo's - menu's along top - main advanced power boot exit

choose boot +/- on numpad to move devices up and down list. Enter will change device for that selection (choose out of two cdrom drives for atapi cdrom if you have two.)

Most other boards - Advanced bios features/bios features setup

Look for

boot sequence
boot device priority
boot sequency
and
first boot device
second boot device
third boot device

If there is a triangle by the option, then press ENTER for a new menu. Generally the bios will have a key guide so you will know how to change the options.

Typical Methods of adjusting sequences.
Page up/Page down +/- And Press ENTER, select device and Press ENTER.

beeuuem 17:24 17 Dec 03

The instructions at click here tell how to repair the corrupt hive.
Although it looks complicated, if you print it out and follow it step by step it is straightforward and only takes a few minutes.

Stormpool 09:38 18 Dec 03

I would suggest

click here

article - 307545

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry That Prevents Windows XP from Starting

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

beeuuem 10:50 18 Dec 03

The link referred to by Stormpool is click here;en-us;q307545

IMHO this is much more complicated to get the same result.

Stormpool 10:53 18 Dec 03

Well you only need to type 3 of the 15 or so lines, referring to your actual problem - whether it be system, software etc..

I decided against making lines to the knowledge base, ;'s aren't lined by the auto link 'click here'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…