File Management

SDJ 10:04 03 Feb 04

I work for a firm of accountants, we have three offices with LANs running off Win2000 servers with about 25 pcs per office.

At the moment we have mepped network drives for our Tax software data, accounts data and time and fees data (All Sage software).

We also have a folder called users which has each employee set up with a folder and we save our files into those accordingly.

The typists save into their user folder.

It has been suggested that we have a central file system for all our correspondance, typed accounts, excel spreadsheets etc.
This would be in the form of another mapped network drive with full access to everyone, folders for all clients using their codes as names and sub folders for "Accounts" "Correspondance" "Excel" "Working Papers" etc.

As we have over 3000 clients setting these folders up would be quite a job. Is there a package available that would create these folders for us? I know it sounds like a big ask but thought it worthwhile before I attempt to do this myself.

The other thing is that we want to be able to set it so that files cannot be deleted or over-written, but still have the option to open say a 2003 tax letter, change a few lines amounts etc and save it as the 2004 tax letter.

The daft thing is we use Sage Tax and that has an inbuilt Control Centre which has a client database for all letters etc but as we are a recently merged company, one side used Sage the other something else we have not been able to convince everyone to use the one system (Sage).

We could set the folders up on an "as and when" basis but I am worried that people will resist this and not bother. Our firm does not deal well with telling people what to do hence the fact we have never got everyone onto the same system!

Any suggestions would be most gratefully received.
Cheers

recap 10:39 03 Feb 04

Scripting may help you here?

Sorry I'm not too up on scripting but there maybe somebody else around here that can help.

or

click here for a starter into scripting

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…