File locations and their numbers

Searson 16:10 07 Apr 07

After a full scan Norton Anti-Virus tells me it had examined 750,000 files, a figure that has been steadily increasing. This is a ridiculous number relative to usage, how can I find out where these files are located and what they are?

Diodorus Siculus 17:11 07 Apr 07

Many could be temp files - try running, for example, CCleaner from click here

Fingees 17:14 07 Apr 07

I personally would run ccleaner, which will remove all the accumulated rubbish.

click here

The number tends to build up, with temp files and various bits and pieces.
Plus all the restore files its not hard to get to that number, although it is slightly excessive.

Depends of course on the size of your disk.

skidzy 17:35 07 Apr 07

As above,but also have a system cleanup.Look in add and remove programs and remove any unwanted programs first.
Then run ccleaner and cleanup click here then defrag and disk clean ;;; start/all programs/accessories/system tools/Defrag and disc cleanup. Then run ccleaner again and reboot.

Then if your system is running ok for a couple of days,maybe clearing those old restore points.Disable system restore/reboot/and enable system restore.

Searson 20:12 07 Apr 07

Thank you for help and comments so far but....
Temp and Temporary Internet Files and sub files contain precious few files.
Is there no way of configuring Windows Explorer so that it discloses file numbers within folders?
If 500,000 files are somewhere other than in Temp or Temporary Internet files then where and what are they? I have XP, Works (very, very little used), Visual Foxpro8 (not used for 4 months), Adobe Elements4 (a recent addition), and am very puzzled. Or is the Norton scan misleading me?

Searson 14:47 08 Apr 07

Clearly this one isn't going to be resolved but as a matter of interest after running CCleaner I ran Full System Scan again and watched most of it at work on 727,000 files. There was nothing remarkable until it started on Windows Update folder where there was a huge amount of files but in the Windows Installer folder there were thousands, possible 2/300,000! I shall remain puzzled, the more so as this query relates to a notebook and my PC has nothing like the same number of files with vitually the same applications installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…