File Length Query

utpc01 11:59 15 Feb 05

I have a number of users who are recently having problems accessing files using MS Office products . They are storing files within folders and subfolders and its been suggested that the filename length is too large for Windows to handle . The problem is this only started to be a problem a couple of weeks ago , when i log in with Admin rights i can open these fields no problem but as an ordinary user Office (word or excel) hangs , to compound the problem 1 "ordinary" user has no problems whatsoever - , You can browse to the files via Explorer without any problems and open the files . My understanding is file length is restricted to 250 characters but does this include the preceding file extension eg\\data\managers notes\etc\123.doc ??
By the way this isnt a desktop issue as the 1 ordinary user can access the folder from any pc .

Fellsider 12:07 15 Feb 05

You are saying that you, or a user, is having difficulty opening a word file greater than 250 characters?

I am currently looking at a file on my PC in word which is approx. 14,500 characters long and took less than a couple of seconds to open.

utpc01 12:26 15 Feb 05

sorry if my post isnt clear enough .The problem is users are intermittently unable to access a particular folder ( within a few other folders ) which has many docs they use .Its been suggested that the combined file name of the docs within this folder is causing a problem ie :

\\data\dataplus\pcdata\etc\etc\......\dog.doc

its not the number of characters in the file its the actual file length that may be the problem .
It is accessible with full Admin rights but not as a User with r/w etc rights ( apart from 1 who is set up exactly the same as others )

Confused ?? u want to be sitting here !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…