File Indexing query

cowgirl66 10:35 04 Mar 07

I have heard that stopping the file indexing on the C:\ drive in XP saves a lot of time and would like to try it. Especially as I'm low on memory (the computer I mean, not me personally!) I notice however, that you can choose just to stop it on the C:\ or in the subfolders and files as well.

Which should I choose? I very rarely use the Search anymore. Would there be any complications if I chose subfolders and files?

Regards cowgirl66

terryf 10:40 04 Mar 07

Just right click on C: choose properties and untick indexing, see if you notice any difference, you may not but you can always turn it on if you wish at some later date. Don't worry the might of Msoft won't crash down on you if you turn it off.

bennyhillslovechild 10:43 04 Mar 07

information on stopping the Indexing service - click here

cowgirl66 21:05 05 Mar 07

Thank you both, i have followed your instructions and yes, it has made a difference when opening folders, especially large ones. Even the search hasn't slowed down much as I ran a test on it!

Regards cowgirl66

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…