File format of iTunes downloaded music

chrismuir 17:00 13 Nov 05

When you buy music in iTunes it comes in a format 'M4P'. This seems to be more space efficient than MP3, but with no loss of quality that I can tell. Two questions:
1. What is the proper name of this file format so that I can set iTunes up to import any future CD's in it?
2. As all my CD's have been copied onto the PC already in MP3 format, how can I get iTunes to convert them all to this format?

I still need MP3's for the player I use when jogging, so will keep a copy of the original MP3 files, can I convert the M4P files to MP3 as well?

brambles 17:34 13 Nov 05

When you buy from iTunes you download MPEG 4 AAC ADVANCED AUDIO CODING. Anything you buy from them appears in Purchased Music and cannot be converted to MP3 if you right click on a track it will give an option Convert to MP3 but when you try you'll get a security warning.

When you import into the library from your own CD's it will also import as MPEG4 but these can be converted.

Latest version of iTunes is Version 6 Plus No includes video now

Use the HELP button in iTunes when you are online!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…