File Format

Wrinkly1 12:29 04 Dec 04

Further problems with new PC using WindowsXP.
Microsoft publisher will not work with this system but I have a large number of files stored in PUB format. Can I convert them to, say. JPEG in order to be able to use them.

Gongoozler 12:42 04 Dec 04

I think you can only convert Publisher files if you have an application that can first read them. Why do you say that MS Publisher won't work with XP, is it just that you have a very old version of Publisher? An alternative way of converting Publisher files to JPG is to print them first from a computer with MS Publisher installed, and then scan them as JPG's, but you will probably lose a lot of quality on the way.

TomJerry 12:45 04 Dec 04

save them in rtf in old system and open it using word in new system, but you will lose a lot of formating information.

the est way is to install MS publisher in new system

pj123 12:51 04 Dec 04

Unfortunately, MS Publisher is the only file format (.pub) that cannot be read/converted to anything else, that I know of.

I also am puzzled that you say "Microsoft publisher will not work with this system but I have a large number of files stored in PUB format."

What version of MS Publisher do you have?

mattyc_92 17:05 04 Dec 04

All the following versions of Publisher I have tested or used in the past and WinXP Pro and ALL work perfectly....

MS Pub97

MS Pub2000

MS PubXP (2002)

Also, ALL the rest of the Office suite works perfectly that are from the same year....

You may have something installed on your system that may stop you from installing Publisher.... or you may have an old build of WinXP installed

pj123 19:10 04 Dec 04

Received the following by email

"Thankyou for your comments. The Publisher version is 97 !! Nearly as old as me but nevertheless it is annoying to have to lose all the carefully copied CD contents with apparently no chance of transferring them to my new PC (which has XP as its operating system)"

I don't see any reason why you can't use these .pub files with XP.

As mattyc_92 says MS Publisher, whether it be 97, 2000 or 2002 should all work with Windows XP.

I assume you have installed MS Publisher/MS Office on your computer????

pj123 11:30 05 Dec 04

Please do not respond to your posting via the envelope. Otherwise no one else can follow the thread and offer suggestions.

Received another email

"Dont know if the information provided above (i.e.) OS (Windows XP with service pack 2) processor (Athlon XP 3200+) and 512MB ram is helpful. Yes I have tried to install PUB 97 but the PC reboots about 70% through the process and a very limited programme is then available. As yet I have not tried to install the complete Microsoft Office package as previously the Publisher section was the only one I had used. Do you think installing the complete package would help ?"

I don't know whether installing the complete Office would help or not. Give it a try and see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…