File /folder problems

dfb70uk 11:22 07 May 14

I have changed from XP to Windows7. If you want to open a new file in windows 7, Right clic - new - gives you a list of the type of files you want to open. With my existing folders, trying the above Right clic - new -you get Folder , not the list. The first arangement does seem to work on completely new folders. By the way I using Office 2000 for all this. Is this across I have to bear for not having a more modern Office. Otherwise help please Regards Dave

AndyJames 11:48 07 May 14

Hi dfb70uk,

Apply this Registry Edit file, I've only added .doc (Word), .xls (Excel), and .ppt (Powerpoint), if you need any more let me know.

click here, Andy

thanks

dfb70uk 11:00 08 May 14

Thanks Andy, but clicking on download, nothing happened least, that I could see. Dave

OCRIDION 13:07 08 May 14

Hey,

I guess the website doesn't work with some browsers. Well, instead, make a new file called fixer.reg .

Make sure not to call it fixer.reg.txt, the file type should be .reg.

(If you click on View tab in file explorer, then tick show file extensions, it will let you rename file extensions.)

Right click the file and choose edit (this should open the file in notepad). Then copy and paste the 10 line text at the following link into the file and save.

click here double click the file you made and click Yes ot let it run.

Hope this helps, thanks, Andy

then

OCRIDION 13:09 08 May 14

(If you click on View tab in file explorer, then tick show file extensions, it will let you rename file extensions.)

That was for Win 8, if your on Windows 7, go to Organise -> File and Folder Options -> There should be a tick box in there somewhere called "Show extension for known file types". Tick that, then you can rename the extension.

dfb70uk 10:06 09 May 14

Thanks Andy, I think I understand but what exactly does this do? I have several partitions on my hard drives does this have to be on "C" ? with Windows. Dave

OCRIDION 15:47 12 May 14

It doesn't have to be anywhere specific when you make the file, you can just make it on your desktop if you wish. So long as when your finished and saved it, you can run it.

When you run that file, it should add the types of files (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) in to the correct place in your Windows Registry. That should immediately add them to "Add New" menu on right click in Window Explorer.

Hope this helps. :)

thanks, Andy

dfb70uk 10:08 14 May 14

Andy, I had to put the file in a folder I supose that is ok but but as I was about to paste in the code I got several warnings that I paniced and did go on. To be honist this change to Win 7 has been hard work never had to use system restore so many times. loaded my wife's camera DVD yesterday after that the DVD drive dissapeared and several things stoped working.This could not be at a worse time as I have outside jobs to do in the good weather. Sorry having a moan but after 80 life can seem to be running away with one. Thanks for you help though. Hope you can comment and give encouagement! Regards Dave

dfb70uk 10:02 15 May 14

Andy, It didn't work, It said the registry can only be changed via Registry Editor. Maybe my trouble is how I created the fixer.reg file. The only way I could think to do it was via a folder the a file which was .txt but changed to .reg I expect that is all wrong. Regards Dave

dfb70uk 10:18 18 May 14

Looks like my problem has been abandoned. Can't anyone help? Dave

OCRIDION 13:18 27 May 14

Hi Dave, Sorry, I havent been on this website for a very long time so I'm still finding my way back into and therefore have small chunks of inactivity. You can contact me directly though via email at [email protected]

I'm hoping the DVD Drive disappearing is simply a glitch, Windows 7 is usually a very good operating system and doesn't break or have any issues.

There are a number of compatability issues with older devices and software, but thats to be expected of every operating system as it tries to advance into newer technologies, and in Windows 7's case, is usually quite rare either way.

I don't know whether it would be a good idea to do the change directly via registry editor if your not confident with it. Just out of curiosity, does the link below work (its the original reg file i made):

ge.tt/api/1/files/52ryNKg1/0/blob?download

If it doesn't then, I guess we could use TeamViewer (remote viewing / control software) and I could do it for you, if your comfortable with that.

thanks, Andy J

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…