File Flood

daveac41 06:47 06 Aug 03

I have noticed that on my hard drive, there have appeared thousands of small files suffixed CHK. What are these, how did they get there, and more importantly, how do I get rid of them? They are slowing my system down. I have recently scanned & defragged(W98 SE)

tbh72 06:57 06 Aug 03

I might be wrong, but CHK files are produced by SCANDISK.

If you click the options button in scandisk you can select which options to use. Without looking one of the option's if selected convert's problem areas to files "CHK". You need to ensure this is unticked.

tbh72 06:59 06 Aug 03

The button is actually named ADVANCED, and the option is "Lost File Fragments"

Hope this helps....

daveac41 07:14 06 Aug 03

Thanks tbh72 - reason duly noted - but now that I've got these on my drive how do I get rid of them - will another scan do it or will I have to remove them physically?

Jester2K II 07:48 06 Aug 03

Just delete them.

daveac41 08:24 06 Aug 03

Yes, Jester, I understand that, but if I delete too many of the files at once, the system crashes, too few, and I'm there all day - is there a happy medium?

Jester2K II 08:37 06 Aug 03

I didn't think you meant thousands literally!!! Sorry!

First shut down as much as you can. CTRL, ALT & DELETE to bring up the process list and then shutdown everything except Explorer and Systray.

Then try in batches of 50 - 100. Hold Down SHIFT when hitting delete to bypass the recycle bin.

Another way - and it might still lock up the PC though - would be to move all the CHK files to another new folder and then delete the folder instead (holding down shift to bypass the recycle bin)

It might just be thats deleting lots of files in one go is too much for your PC but unfortunately theres no real way around it other than deleting...

DieSse 08:41 06 Aug 03

Deleting lots of files at once can take the system quite a considerable time - so much that it can often seem to have hung or crashed, even when it hasn't. If it looks like that has happened, just walk away and leave it for 15-20 mins - you may just find it has worked after all.

daveac41 19:41 06 Aug 03

Thanks Jester, eventually blitzed them out in DOS,using *.* in each series. By God I won't make that mistake again!
And thanks DieSse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…