file extensions problems

Paul-209873 18:12 24 Nov 09

Hi there

I have recently had a raid problem which involved taking all my programs, docs, music etc off my hard drive. The shop reformatted the drive and reinstalled all windows xp back on the drive. When I go into the back up folder they created (NTFS)to find pictures, word docs, excel docs etc all i get is windows cant open the file as it does not know which program created it. Is there a simple way of getting my files back or a program that can read these files. I have several thousand files in this folder due to having a very large music libary (which I have retrieved as they were backed up on my Ipod). All the different file extensions i am at a loss to know which of them refer to which programs.

Any help greatfully recieved but please bear in mind I am not that good with computers so any answers please be as straightforward as possible.

thanks
paul

ashdav 21:13 24 Nov 09

You need to have the programs installed that used/created the files in the first place.
Association should then be automatic.
Can you provide a list of the extensions ?

tullie 21:27 24 Nov 09

What program did you use to back up?

Paul-209873 09:31 25 Nov 09

hi there

Firstly i do not know what program the shop used when they saved all my data as they tranferred it to another hard drive then put it all back into a folder named back up and just put windows back so the computer worked and told me I would have to find the files I needed from the back up folder.

The extensions i am getting are .mof .dll .bmp .swf .txt .cfg .exe .gif .elm .inf .bin .olb .ini .wtf .idx .qtr thats some of them but i am shore there are more as I cant go through all the files at the moment.
thnaks

bremner 16:27 25 Nov 09

the majority of the extensions you list are system files that you do not need to worry about.

The others are:

.bmp .txt .gif .exe - and all will open with built in Windows applications.

.wtf - Seems likely to be a configuration file for World of Warcraft

.swf is a falsh video file and needs Adobe Flash click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5