Radiofan 12:35 14 Jul 04

This is not a problem in so far as everything still works fine. Being a neat and tidy person, I keep all my files, suitably named, in a selection of folders on my desktop. One day recently, I opened one folder to find that Windows had added the file extensions - .xls, .doc, etc. - to all the file names. I started looking in other folders and it had done the same! Why would this happen? Also, some time before, Windows changed the colour of some, but not all, file names from black to blue. I didn't ask for this and there doesn't seem to be a way to restore them to black. Aren't computers wonderful?

Shas 12:46 14 Jul 04

To hide the extensions, in Windows Explorer go to View > Folder Options > View tab, and make sure that the box 'Hide file extensions for known file types' is checked.

Eric10 12:46 14 Jul 04

Sounds like someone or something has been playing with your settings. Double-click 'My Computer' then go to Tools, Folder Options, View tab. Put a tick in the 'Hide extensions for known file types' box and remove the tick from 'Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color'.

Radiofan 12:54 14 Jul 04

Thank you both very much - everything is back to normal. It's still a mystery as to how this happened because no-one else has access to this machine. Gremlins, probably!

Taff36 12:57 14 Jul 04

I think I`m right in saying that the blue files are system files. Go to the same tab as the others described and tick the box that says something like hide system files. They should all disappear if I`m right.

€dstowe 13:05 14 Jul 04

If you use the Disc Cleanup facility and Compress Old Files, by default, Windows identifies the compressed or archived files in blue.

Shas 13:21 14 Jul 04

No-one else has access to my machine but I still switch on some mornings and find settings changed. As you say, gremlins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…