File extension

kazee 16:48 21 May 03

My daughter keeps sending me email attatchments I cant open. The extensions always end with .wps, even zip files. I can't open them in Microsoft Word or any other program.

Pesala 17:00 21 May 03

The *.WPS file extension is used by MS Works. The *.ZIP file extension is used to compress files. If you don't have a zip program, download one from this website's downloads section.

If you cannot open the WPS files with Word, right-click on the attachment and Save target as ... to your documents folder. Then import the file into Word.

Pesala 17:02 21 May 03

Zip Central (845 K) click here Free zip archiver

kazee 04:18 22 May 03

File extensions with ".wps" won't open in word. When I right-click on the attachment and Save target to the documents folder and try to retrieve it I ge the entire web url and not the ".wps document.

Bebee 06:32 22 May 03

I think Word does have a Works converter, but it is not loaded by default. You need to add it by inserting the program disk and using install.

The other option is to ask your daughter to save anything she sends you as word documents with a .doc extension. This option is available in the Save or Save As in Works (or it is in the versions I've used!)

Hope this helps.

AndySD 06:36 22 May 03

click here and set it to word and all versions and converters

kazee 01:33 24 May 03

Thanks for all of the help. No one has been able to help so far. I give up.

powerless 01:48 24 May 03

Can you check that you have not got OE to block attchements that could contain a virus etc. This wll stop you from opening any files.

In OE > Tools > Options... > Security > Remove the tick from "Do not allow attachements to be saved or opened that could potentilally be a virus".

DieSse 01:51 24 May 03

"When I right-click on the attachment and Save target to the documents folder and try to retrieve it I ge the entire web url and not the ".wps document."

What URL are you meaning - what has the wps document, or the email, got to do with a web address?

If you don't get a document saved by carrying out the above procedure, then I don't think you have been sent a document.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…