File error stopping defrag

NOVICE ENABLED 12:26 19 Jan 05

I recently installed microsoft anti-spy (beta) but soon had to uninstall it (through control panel/uninstall) when it caused my PC to slow to snails pace. When attempting to defrag I got an error message 'Scan was stopped because an error was found in D:/ microsoft anti-spy/Dd11.gcd'. I deleted the anti-spy folder but I now get error message 'Scan was stopped because an error was found in D:/ recycled/Dd11.gcd'. If I right click 'recycle bin' on the desktop I get an option to delete two files but they don't appear on the recycle bin screen, and they won't delete. I've done a search for 'Dd11.gcd' and 'recycled' but nothing shows up. Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this thing? I'm running windows XP home. THANKS.

Technotiger 12:30 19 Jan 05

Hi, what is your system made up of? What drives have you got? Your System which is what you are trying to defrag is normally local Drive C. But you are quoting D: which is normally a cd drive, unless your main hdd is partitioned.

Technotiger 12:39 19 Jan 05

Hi, me again - a possible easier solution - have you tried a Restore to any earlier date before you installed m'soft anti-wotsit?

NOVICE ENABLED 12:40 19 Jan 05

Hi, thanks for responding. My HD is partitioned into C:(5.59GB), D:(106GB) and E:(5.60GB). I have XP on C: and most of my program files on D:, E: is hardly used. D: is the partition I can't defrag, the others are fine.

Technotiger 12:45 19 Jan 05

Right - I would still try a Restore. Do you have any other antispy progs - Ad-Aware SE Personal for instance, if so I would suggest also that you try running that.

click here

Technotiger 12:47 19 Jan 05

I'm still here :-) If all else fails you could try a Scan in Safe Mode perhaps.

NOVICE ENABLED 13:12 19 Jan 05

Most of my restore points were erased due to a recent virus. The earliest one available is 6 days ago, before I deleted the anti-spy folder, but not before I installed it. The error still appears after restoring to this point, it also shows up in safe mode. Where is this 'recycled' folder?

Technotiger 13:26 19 Jan 05

The recycle 'folder' is the Recycle Bin on your desktop. If the file shows up, as you say, in safe mode is it not possible to highlight it there and then press Del on your keyboard. Sorry, I am only guessing here.

Otherwise I will have to leave you to someone else
more knowledgable than me.

Cheers and Good luck anyway.

NOVICE ENABLED 14:35 19 Jan 05

No, they don't appear in recycle bin in safe mode either. I continually get the same message there, 'Are you sure you want to delete these 2 items?' but it doesn't delete or show any files in recycle bin. I've tried deleting other files to overwrite them and used a history eraser, without success.

Appreciate all your help anyway tiger. Thanks.

ACOLYTE 14:45 19 Jan 05

Have you tried to defrag the drive? see if it stops with a descepency error,if it does right click your drive in my comp and select,properties,tools check now and tick fix file system errors box,you may be able to just get away with doing the D: drive without windows needing to resart to do the scan if not select all the drives and let it run on next reboot.

NOVICE ENABLED 17:43 19 Jan 05

I can defrag C: and E: without any problems but D: doesn't even get past the analysing stage.

"...right click your drive in my comp and select,properties,tools check now and tick fix file system errors box"

I did this but there was no sign of any disk check. Is this the same disk check that automatically runs after a loss of power or failure to shut down properly?

Is there any other way to clear 'D:Recyled'?
Would it be worth trying another defrag tool?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…