//some 3rd party need geo

File Download Manager

sheila.weston 16:18 17 Nov 05

I have downloaded 'File Download manager'from click here, but am not sure what the various symbols mean.The help file doesn't help.

In the main window the top half has a list of files and the bottom half has a progress window full of little blue squares.

I tried to download Nero several weeks ago and the top window has a list of files with green ticks against them. OK, I presume that means that they have downloaded. BUT there are lots of Nero files with a red square against them. Does this mean that they haven't downloaded or does it mean there is an error.If so, what do I do?

I have downloaded a couple of programs since which worked OK.

Any help appreciated - probably emailing me direct would be easier as I just want talking through this!

Thanks for any help.

Sheila

Skyver 16:23 17 Nov 05

Red blocks will probably denote parts yet to be downloaded. Either find Nero in the download list and click Resume, or Restart Download or better yet seeing as Nero was just updated do a fresh download from here click here
Delete the unfinished one when the new one has successfully transferred.

sheila.weston 17:50 17 Nov 05

Right, so I click on the link on the Hippo Page and the FDM window opens.I select 'save file' and add 'C:\Downloads\' to the 'save to' box. (The Download File is on my desktop), and then 'OK'.I get a window telling me that the download is already under way and asking me if I want to resume.I said 'yes', BUT it is the 6.6.0.16 which I started downloading last week. Anyhow the tiny box above the FDM icon says Nero-6.6.0.18...3%so, presumably the newer version is downloading. Is this correct so far?

Shouldn't the little arrow in the FDM box be moving? Presumably not, as the download has got up to 5%.

I'll come back after the download has completed as there are several other issues about FDM which I don't understand.

Many thanks,
Sheila

sheila.weston 17:53 17 Nov 05

Right, so I click on the link on the Hippo Page and the FDM window opens.I select 'save file' and add 'C:\Downloads\' to the 'save to' box. (The Download File is on my desktop), and then 'OK'.I get a window telling me that the download is already under way and asking me if I want to resume.I said 'yes', BUT it is the 6.6.0.16 which I started downloading last week. Anyhow the tiny box above the FDM icon says Nero-6.6.0.18...3%so, presumably the newer version is downloading. Is this correct so far?

Shouldn't the little arrow in the FDM box be moving? Presumably not, as the download has got up to 5%.

I'll come back after the download has completed as there are several other issues about FDM which I don't understand.

Many thanks,
Sheila

Skyver 17:54 17 Nov 05

Yes, all sounds OK, you can cancel the old Nero download (6.6.0.16) and keep going with 6.6.0.18. Are you on dial-up or broadband?

Stuartli 18:27 17 Nov 05

I use FreshDownload which is free, free of all ads etc and works equally well with dialup and broadband:

click here

You can have up to eight data channels running to download; when a download is completed you can immediately run it or save it to the Desktop or a folder.

I use a folder named FD Folder (for obvious reasons) in Program Files and can install any downloads from there whilst, at the same time, keeping the original download as a backup if necessary/burning to disk etc.

sheila.weston 10:16 18 Nov 05

1) Continuing this morning, I have opened FDM and the small square with the arrow has opened above the lower RH corner. It says 'Default.aspx 0%', and then changes to 'done', even though it didn't go above 0%!It then changes to 'Casechanger which is another program I was downloading the other day. Shouldn't FDM stay with Nero?

2) Looking at the HTML SPIDER tab in the FDM window, it has the nero.com website URL in the top half of the screen. Shouldn't it have the HIPPO URL?

3) In the bottom half of the FDM window there is a long list of Nero files, many with files and others with egg-timer signs. Pesumably the egg-timer signs indicate 'download in Progress'. Right? If so, then why does the FDM square/icon have CaseChanger 44% in it, with no mention of Nero?

3) If I select the 'Downloads' Tab in FDM it has lots of Nero files with egg-timers alongside. I have found the nero file, which has stuck at 18%.How do I give the Nero download priority?

4) I am still connected to the internet, but everything seems to have stopped! Under the STOPPED Tab are all the Nero files, Under the INPROGRESS Tab are two programs I wanted to download the other day and under the STOPPED Tab are lots more Nero Files.I can't see how to get them started again nor how toremove files from the program.The Help file doesn't help!

Many thanks for your help -
Sheila

Skyver 10:44 18 Nov 05

1. The .aspx file is usually a 0 byte file, just redirects your browser to the actual file you want, you can delete it.
2. It probably picked up the Nero site when you downloaded v6.0.0.16. Spider is for downloading an entire website or parts of one if you want to archive a site or read it offline.
3. It appears Spider has been started and is trying to do what I just described - cancel the whole lot, you only want the Nero executable (.exe) file you've just downloaded.
4.If you've successfully downloaded the biggest file,(Nero-6.6.0.18_no_yt.exe - 33027kb) you can cancel all the other downloads. Right click the files that are showing, and select Delete. Make a copy of the file mentioned above, in case the original gets accidentally removed along with the other site information and files.

sheila.weston 15:55 18 Nov 05

Re (3): I have right-clicked and deleted the Nero URL under the SPIDER Tab.It asked me if I wanted to delete the downloads, so I said 'Yes'.There is now a blank space under SPIDER.

It asked me if I wanted to delte the file on the disk also, so I said 'Yes' - hope this is correct! Is there anywhere in the Help File that tells one about deleting? I couldn't find anything!

Re (4) - I don't think I have downloaded Nero-6.6.0.18_no_yt.exe completely, although I am sure I saw 'completed' earlier!! Opening the DOWNLOAD Tab under 'Filters/stopped' it shows the file as 18%Downloaded plus other files. Right-clicking and selecting restart download doesn't help. A yellow balloon comes up in the task bar saying Nero etc file stopped. The log file shows two lines saying 'File not found on server' and 'File Stopped'.

Thankyou for your help - I feel I am getting there, albeit slowly. I won't be on the internet over the weekend, so will have another look at the Help files. I hate to be beaten by this!

Sheila

sheila.weston 16:24 18 Nov 05

How do I delete all the files from the 'DOWNLOADS/stopped window? Right-clicking and selecting delete download brings up a window asking me if I am sure. Saying YES doesn't do anything - the file is still there!I want to delete everything and start again! I will probably delete Nero completely, reinstall from the disk and then download the upgrade again.

Sheila

Skyver 16:36 18 Nov 05

3. All sounds fine
4. The `completed` you saw may have been from the site download. I'm not sure why it won't let you delete, it shouldn't stop you removing it. It could mean that the partially completed temporary file that the download manager creates while downloading is removed, but the information is left (ie the location of the file on the 'net) so that you can restart the download.
I know suggesting other software isn't much of an answer but I use NetTransport 1.87 - it has similar features to Free Download Manager but if you don't use them, you never see them.click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…