file on desktop

Teknik 10:01 12 Oct 03

I've now got this peculiar file on my desktop and I don't know where it's come from. This is how it's set out;

~
File
176kb

I put the desktop file in my recycle bin but for some reason it's now restored itself to my desktop. I've also noticed there's an almost identical file in Desktop and Settings personal folder but I'm afraid to delete either one.

I will add at this point there are NO letters or numbers in the name of the file, just the ~

bremner 10:23 12 Oct 03

This is covered in Decembers PCA helpline pages.

It suggests downloading Sysinternals Filemon software (Freeware) click here It says set the filter to 'include:desktop and Log writes and wait. The next time the file is created Filemaon will tell you the process that created it.

StuFromPoole 10:28 12 Oct 03

I have installed the Filemon software and am waiting for the file to arrive to decipher its origin.

I would be interested to hear from you if you resolve this ahead of me.

Stu.

Teknik 10:32 12 Oct 03

thanks for this advice Bremner I'll give it a go in about an hour's time as I have to get the groceries. Sorry StuFromPoole but you'll have to wait a while! I know we're both anxious to get rid of this pest (have had a quick sneak tho at the website)

Jester2K II 10:48 12 Oct 03

Its a bug in OE. Delete the file when it appears.

Jester2K II 10:49 12 Oct 03
  Teknik 13:29 12 Oct 03

having read your links Jester, could it be something to do with MailWasher? The file appeared the first time after closing OE6 (WinXP) but I haven't added any addresses to my book for many months now. I am getting a load of these W32/Swen virus emails though but they are in YahooMail. I've got Norton antivirus (updated regularly) and ZoneAlarm so surely it's not a virus?

StuFromPoole 17:18 12 Oct 03

Having read Jesters postings and had one of these mystery files pop up today on closing OE, I am inclined to believe that it is the culprit.

The other thing, Teknik, is that I am not using Mailwasher.

The Filemon software seems to have picked up the creation of the ~ file, but I am afraid that I am unable to decipher the information it is presenting to me and see how it points to anything software in particular - sorry to be thick!

Stu.

palinka 17:58 12 Oct 03

I get it too; happened for the first time a couple of months ago. I'm planning to use the prog on this month's disk to find its source; but basically i just delete it whenever it appears.

Sam Witch 18:13 12 Oct 03

I have seen the links and get this too.

It first appeared as I had downloaded Sun Java, I managed to open it and looked at it, Seemed to be debug information from a failed applet start from a web page. Most of it was in code hex or something.,

Very irritating to find a file created on the desktop, I will be good to confirm where it comes from,

seldom use OE so of the opinion its not that.

Confab 18:25 12 Oct 03

The tilde appears whenever you add/remove change something in OE address book. Try it and see.

Confab

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…