File to big for dvd

isititis 12:27 13 Mar 10

Hello,
I have a HP Pavilion running Win XP with SP3 and 2 gig of memory.
Using an EasyCap capture device and a video cassette player/recorder, I captured a video of over 3.5 hrs. I now wish to put it on to a dvd-r but find that the file is to large for a single dvd-r. Is it possible to condense it so that it will fit onto 1 dvd? If so,how would I do that.
Please advise and thank you in advance.
I have to go out now, but will be back about 3.00pm

jimv7 12:37 13 Mar 10

DVD shrink click here

patrick-1429172 14:04 13 Mar 10

you could use DVD shrink ....

but there are other ways

what file format is the film captured in ? ( right click on the file and select properties )

why do you want to put it on DVD ? ( eg: play back on standard DVD eg fob only or as back up disc )

most DVD players these days , play back more than just standard FOB files ( dvd format ) , they will play back WMV, DIVX,AVi etc

a easy route if you answer the above questions ... would be to burn the files as a image file without any conversions ( loss of quality )

but this is dependant on what the files are currently in and what you want to do with them

google 'img burn' , it's a free program ....

MAJ 14:40 13 Mar 10

"FOB files ( dvd format )"?

I take it you mean VOB files, paddy sheridan?

Terry Brown 15:37 13 Mar 10

What burning software are you using ?

If you have Nero (7 or above), the program will automaticly reduce the quality level to get the best quality for the space allowable.

There are plenty of Video editing programs that will allow you to 'Cut' the video in half and put it on 2 seperate DVD's.

My personal favorite is VideoReDo.

You can download a trial trial here click here

Terry

patrick-1429172 16:38 13 Mar 10

MAJ ...

yes VOB ....... my bad

you don't need to split it to 2 dvd's ..... just burn files to dvd as a data disc ... ( using img burn )

a DVD will hold 4.7gig ......the minutes of the disc ( 120minutes ) are irrelevant .... when you burn as data disc ....just as long as the file is less than 4.7 gig

the originals poster just needs to clarify the above questions in order to find the best route to take in regards o quality

OTT_B 17:08 13 Mar 10

Use a dual layer DVD (7.4GB)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…