File associations XPPro. How do I?

BillySilly 21:12 09 Jul 09

Hi
I have XP Pro running OE6. When I get an email with attachments I have a problem opening graphics ones.
If I have a *.bmp, double click on it, click Open, it opens with Nero PhotoSnap Viewer, which I don't use.
If I have a *.jpg, double click on it, I get a message 'This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an associaion in the Folder Options Control Panel'
I have already attempted to set associations in Folder Options. For each of the extensions bmp, jpe and jpg I have got open with Paint. I have restarted, but I get the same problem in each case!
The asociations are still Open with Paint so they are 'sticking'.
What do I have to do to make them work?

VoG II 21:13 09 Jul 09
  BillySilly 21:34 09 Jul 09

Hi
That sounds very much what I need and might explain the Nero intercepting....
Problem is, when I extract the imgeditor.exe and run it I get
'Run-time error '429'
Active X component cannot create object'
??

woodchip 21:40 09 Jul 09

Your Web Browser can be used to view the Image if you set it to view Jpeg's

Sea Urchin 21:47 09 Jul 09

The longer way round. Right-click on your attachment and Save to the desktop (for easy access) Right-click the saved file, and select Open With - down to the bottom and select Choose Program. On that list highlight the program you want to use, and tick the box Always Use the Selected Program to Open this type of file - click OK.

Repeat for each type of attachment.

BillySilly 22:19 09 Jul 09

Thanks. I have been doing that and opening using the list. I have now used Choose Program and ticked the box Always Use the selected Program to Open this type of file and clicked OK.
Have rebooted. In fact I have no problem opening bmp and jpg files by default using Paint from anywhere other than Outlook Express.
I still have exactly the same problem when I try to open them in OE: *.bmp uses Nero PhotoSnap Viewer and *.jpg refuses!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac