File associations

nickhick 16:35 25 Apr 03

I've just bought a new laptop that has MS Works 7.0 installed. My old spreadsheet files are MS Excel 97 ones. Which software/application would you advise me to instal on my new laptop that would be able to open these with full formatting etc. I've read that Star Office is very good but would it do what I want it to?

Nick

Falkyrn 16:57 25 Apr 03

Yes,Staroffice v6.0 fully supports excel files ... it is a little different to work with but an excellent suite of programs.

Peverelli 17:23 25 Apr 03

There are a few compatibility problems but with a little perseverance they can be overcome. If you ever need to open StarOffice files in Excel then make sure you save them as Excel files (one of the options in 'Save As'). The help files are not brilliant but there are quite a few people on this site who have at least some experience with this software, so you know where to come if you encounter any problems :O)

Djohn 18:12 25 Apr 03

The spreadsheet included in your version of works is a cut down Excel, and will open all Excel files with out problems. J.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…