File association suddenly viewing incorrectly

kinger 15:37 15 Jan 06

On Windows XP pro, service pack two, the files associated with various programs work perfectly but are all showing the default plain icon for each one.

I have tried re-associating with another program which alters the icon to that program but, on altering it back to it's correct program, I get the plain icon again instead of the correct associated program.

Any ideas of what has gone wrong?

Thanks, in advance.

K!

recap 15:47 15 Jan 06

It could be that the program has become corrupted? try reinstalling the software.

Jackcoms 15:56 15 Jan 06

System Restore

kinger 16:04 15 Jan 06

The file associations are for every program installed, so it isn't that they're all corrupted but a setting must be incorrect in Windows OS itself, I imagine.

They all display an incorrect icon (both exe files and files created using the program) but, once clicked on, they launch the program perfectly.

Jackcoms: This problem occurred before I networked two PCs together, which took days to sort out, so I don't really want to do a system restore and lose all my network settings now that they work perfectly.

Thanks both, anyway.

Anyone with any knowledge of this fault, I'd love to hear from you.

K!

VoG II 16:54 15 Jan 06

Try TweakUI click here repair icons.

kinger 20:21 19 Jan 06

It was because MS software wasn't activated and it stopped all MS programs from working properly too.

The icons went blank and, when any MS program was launched, one couldn't use it.

Thanks for your input anyway, people.

K!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…