File association problem

FedupwithPCs 17:30 12 Aug 08

For some unknown reason, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer has taken over the files that I automatically open with Paint Shop Pro. I have tried everything I can think of to switch things to open with PSP when I click on the image icon but not luck. Even the right click option of "open with" won't let me use anything but Windows Picture and Fax viewer. HELP !

I have XP Pro. The problem could possibly have started when I finally upgraded from SP2 to SP3. Maybe a big mistake.(?)

rawprawn 17:51 12 Aug 08

Have a look here click here

Ditch999 18:24 12 Aug 08

Open My Computer
Tools
Folder Options
File Types
Select the file types you want to open with PSP eg jpg
Click the Change button for "Opens with"
Select PSP from the list and tick the box "Always use..." at the bottom

Perform this for all the file types you want PSP to open.

FedupwithPCs 19:15 12 Aug 08

Thankyou for your suggestions, but I have tried these methods with no joy. I can open these files if I start PSP first and browse from there, no problem. But I would rather just click on any image and have Paint Shop open it automatically like it used to. When I try to use PSP from the drop down list of options after the right click trick, I get an error message that says "so and so .jpg is not a valid Win32 application". I can open it only if I select Windows Picture and Fax Viewer so it looks like another case of Microsoft trying to take over the world.

Ditch999 21:48 12 Aug 08

My method does NOT use the R click on the file approach. It is done through Windows Explorer.
Did you try it exactly as I said?

MAT ALAN 21:52 12 Aug 08

click here

this may help...

FedupwithPCs 16:17 13 Aug 08

Thanks again but none of the fixes have worked.
It seems like Uncle Bill's O.S. wants to dictate what I do with my own computer. Does anyone know how to uninstall Windows Picture and Fax Viewer? Maybe then I will be able to change the settings to accept my good old PSP. Failing that, how do I get rid of SP3 and go back to the way it worked before?

brundle 16:22 13 Aug 08

The problem is more likely to be that the context menu entry is broken. Can you do a repair install of PSP? Or remove and re-install?

brundle 16:24 13 Aug 08

A quick way to find out is to open your sendto menu (start menu/run, type

sendto

press return)

Drag a working PSP shortcut into the SendTo folder window.

Then try selecting a jpg, right click and select SendTo/PSP (the shortcut you just copied)

FedupwithPCs 12:05 14 Aug 08

I've tried everything suggested above and no luck. Tried uninstalling Paint Shop Pro and reinstall. No good. Tried to find the source of the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer to remove it. Someone suggested it was part of the Office 2003 setup so I had a nose around the install CD for Office and couldn't find it. I think it might be time to treat myself to a PC running on Linux. Then maybe I have a chance to be in control instead of Microsoft.

Patr100 12:20 14 Aug 08

Funnily enough, I have a similar issue with another programand file type - anyway here is a possible fix involving the registry.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…