File association muddle

jaffa43 20:03 17 May 07

My neice is running a pc which she has just updated to XP pro from ME.
If she opens windows explorer and clicks on the "file" button at the top of the page the computer shuts down windows explorer and reverts back to the desktop.Also right clicking on the desktop has no effect (as though right click disabled).When trying to open a folder in windows explorer the search function is opened instead of the folder.She also had a problem when she clicked on an EXE file (it opened media player) which i managed to rectify.However the other problems i'm having trouble sorting out for her.The pc has been fully scanned with zero results returned for viruses,spyware etc.System restore is not an option either as the pc has only just been upgraded.I'm mystified as to why these errors occur or how to rectify them,if anyone can help i'd be very grateful.

VoG II 20:10 17 May 07

Try this click here - it may fix some other errors too.

jaffa43 22:19 17 May 07

Thanks for the link VoG,some really good stuff on that site.I managed to cure the problem of opening files ok but the errors of clicking the "file" button closing windows explorer and the right click on the desktop not working still remain.I realise i may have to edit the registry at some point to cure all the probs remaining but if possible i'd like to resolve them without doing so.
Thanks again for the link and the very fast response,it's nice to know there are people out there willing to help others and ALL replies are very gratefully received.

VoG II 22:23 17 May 07

Start, Run, enter

sfc /scannow

and click OK. Insert the XP CD if prompted.

jaffa43 10:50 18 May 07

Will try it when i get chance over the weekend,thanks for the tip and apologies if i seem to be a while responding with any results.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…