File association again

exdragon 11:03 19 Apr 03

Hi - Windows 98SE, Photoshop Elements 2, Photoshop Album and Microsoft Greetings 2002.

Up until today, all my Photoshop images with the .psd extension & icon could be opened from Explorer into PSE. Today, they all have the Greetings icon, but still have the .psd extn, & open into Greetings. I was using Greetings a fair bit last week, but don't recall changing any settings.

I've tried the shift/right click/always open with PSE, which normally works, but it doesn't this time - anyone any idea why, please? I've checked all the other file association questions, but don't particularly want to use Tweak UI etc or do a complete reinstall. I noticed that in Explorer/View/File Types, the .psd extn isn't listed. I've run SFC - can I just add Elements to the file types list, and why would it have vanished in the first place?

Thanks!

pj123 12:09 19 Apr 03

I had the same problem recently, I installed a new scanner and now Omnipage has taken over all my pics. Right click didn't work for me either.

I use Powerdesk (free on lots of Magazine CDs) instead of Windows Explorer. Under File I have Open with/Associate.... does the job admirably.

woodchip 12:24 19 Apr 03

Click on one of the files you want to open in any given program, then hold shift key down and right click the file choose open with and choose the program you want to use, tick the box to always open with this program click OK

Pesala 18:34 19 Apr 03

I think this would be the easiest way to put things back to where they should be, or try a System Restore.

exdragon 19:38 19 Apr 03

Thanks - maybe I'll try reinstalling PSE. I don't have system restore, I've got 98SE, though I did try GoBack without any success.

Woodchip - I already tried that!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…