File access permission

bahati0ne 25 Sep 11

Hi, I have copied my photos to a portable hard drive for backup purposes and can see them and print them but I do not have permission to copy or move them to another location either on the remote drive or to my pc. The file permission is owned by root (Unix User\root). I have tried altering this via the file or its folder properties but once again I do not have permission. I have tried this on my desktop (windows XP)and my laptop (windows 7). I am the administrator on both PCs.

Forum Editor 25 Sep 11

"The file permission is owned by root (Unix User\root)."

Really? That's an indication that the files were on a Unix server, and if that's the case the file owner has to modify the permissions using the chmod command.

bahati0ne 25 Sep 11

How do I run chmod please.

My remote hard drive goes via a Iomega iConnect Wireless Data Station.

bahati0ne 30 Sep 11

problem resolved by plugging hard drive direct to PC

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message