Fifty 'Unknown Devices' in Device Manager

ened 14:44 19 Jan 05

Hello.

My Dad has several problems with his machine. Norton has somehow taken over and does not appear in Programmes nor in Add/Remove. When he performs a search and tries deleting it will not allow him to. Now he tells me there are over FIFTY unknown devices showing. When he right-clicked one it came up with LPT Port....
He has doubled the memory (to 512mb) with no discernable improvement. I would move everything to his second HDD and reformat, but I am not there and he feels this is too much to try himself.
So any suggestions would be appreciated.
For instance if he installs Norton Systemworks would he then be able to remove it? How can he remove these 'unknown' devices?

Technotiger 14:55 19 Jan 05

Hi, I would suggest that he runs Ad-Aware SE Personal, available at lavasoft.com if
he does not already have it. What OS does he have?

Cheers.

Technotiger 14:56 19 Jan 05

sorry that was meant to be click here

Diemmess 14:57 19 Jan 05

Don't add any more of Norton's products. ..... Unless your father does what you would do, he still has a lot of work at the keyboard.

1)He could install and run CCleaner

2) He could istall and run Spybot

3) Surely he could start Device Manager and "remove" all the unknown devices, then reboot and see what turns up this time!

That still leaves Norton's AV and he must have some cover, but whether he can find and delete all the last traces, or tries to install it again or tries something entirely different, that is for other people to dicuss.

ened 14:59 19 Jan 05

OS is XPpro
In what way will/might Ad-Aware help him?

ened 15:06 19 Jan 05

It was and apparently still is Norton Systemworks which started to mess his machine up in the first place. The problem is that he can't use it because most of it has been removed and he reports that even the Recycle Bin is now called Norton...
This is one of the (many) reasons I wouldn't touch a Symantec product so I don't know if it can be disabled once it has been installed. My idea was that it might be easier to control if the full programme was reinstalled.
At the moment it would appear to be interfering with stuff he tries to install.

Technotiger 15:06 19 Jan 05

I suggested run Ad-Aware because I am guessing that that is his problem - Malware.

I was also going to suggest similar as Diemmess, no more Norton - get rid, use the free downloads of Zone Alarm and AVG instead.

Cheers

Diemmess 15:14 19 Jan 05

Its not at all funny..... really....but your quote "even the Recycle Bin is now called Norton..." is what I feared!

Sapins 15:15 19 Jan 05

I have run Norton System Works for over 4 years and not had a single problem. I would start looking elsewhere first, it is probably spyware/malware related.

Technotiger 15:15 19 Jan 05

Me again - another suggestion - could he do a
Restore back to a time when all was ok on his pc?

Might work - Cheers.

Chezdez 15:18 19 Jan 05

wow, soon norton will take over all of our computers, whether we install their products or not!! and then they shall use all that computing power for a greater purpose....

on topic, reinstalling and then deleting again seems like a pretty logical idea, might bring the files that have apparently gone AWOL back into line

failing that, just nuke the thing, we can't risk spreading the infection...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…