A few wirelees questions...

nick_j007 20:32 08 Jul 04

Hello all,

I have a few wireless questions and think it's best if I ask them all in one go. I set it all up last night. I am running broadband from Wanadoo at 512 on a Dell Inspiron 8100. I bought a 3Com router and PCM card from...
click here
So here we go:

1) My router is downstairs at the moment and if I raise it from nearly on the floor to on top of the sofa the strength goes from good to excellent. This is to be expected I guess. If I plugged the router into a socket upstairs would it be better still do you think? More walls to work through though. I am currently downstairs.

2) I am finding game play a little bit 'glitchy' whilst online with Medal of Honour. It was perfectly ok when hard-wired. I have disabled the firewall (you go online to click here) but to effect. A solution to it anywhere?

3) I live in a fairly secluded place with 7 other farm/barn type buildings around me. We have no 'passing' traffic. A neighbour about 100 metres away runs wireless too but on Apple Macs. They are away at the moment so I'm not sure if we will interfere at all. Do I NEED to encrypt? I'm unencrypted at the moment. My work etc. is no use to anyone else. Having said that I don't want to leave the door open too far!

There may be 4&5, but that will be enough for now.

Thank you as always.

Nick

Gaz 25 20:38 08 Jul 04

1) Anything in fair - excellent range is considered very good.

Get poor or low, or no signal then consider changing location of router.

However it depends on how good the receiver is as well in the Laptop/PC.

2) There are a few things you can do to improve bandwidth on a wireless connection - and disable any WEP or other none required features - disable auto speed. Set all on maximum and disable power save.

3) WEP is still a good enough - and to further this I use MAC address filtering.

nick_j007 21:21 08 Jul 04

very good that thanks.

1) Funny thing is, I don't really notice a difference in speed regardless of the fair-excellent notes.

2) Enable or disable WEP then? IF enable, I see the options of 64 or 128 bit or WPA (with radius server...what's that?)
I can download WPA from Microsoft I know.

Can't see an auto speed option, nor power save.

3) What does MAC stand for please? What does it do? Not Mac as in Apple I assume?

I am already over my head here ! lol

Cheers,

Nick

Gaz 25 21:30 08 Jul 04

1) Funny thing is, I don't really notice a difference in speed regardless of the fair-excellent notes.

You dont notice much speed differences until it reaches below fair.

2) Enable or disable WEP then? IF enable, I see the options of 64 or 128 bit or WPA (with radius server...what's that?) I can download WPA from Microsoft I know.

Go for 128 bit WEP. Its more than enough. WPA can sometimes break, and when I use it - slows performance.

Can't see an auto speed option, nor power save.

Ok, try the wireless adaptor card settings. Should be with the drivers that came included, open up their settings.

3) What does MAC stand for please? What does it do? Not Mac as in Apple I assume?

MAC = Media Access Control

MAC address filtering is described here: click here

Basically it stops wireless cards that are NOT yours from accessing YOUR network.

Hope that answers your questions.

nick_j007 21:39 08 Jul 04

1) Fair enough

2) 128 bit it is then...I'll see how it goes like that.

Auto speed and power save. Hmmm, in the end last night I chose not to download all those options from the disc as I had spent hours trying to get it sorted. After a number of restore points I cracked it (got it to a right mess I did). So all I have now is the two flashing screens in my system tray, and the http192 etc address from 3com to play with. Do I risk it? Hmmn, I'll muster the courage.

3) I shall look into the MAC settings then cheers. Might be useful given that I have another wireless connection near by.

Thank you again

Nick

Gaz 25 22:13 08 Jul 04

Well then - as long as its working - dont worry to much.

Gaz 25 22:19 08 Jul 04

Glad I could help - if there is anything else then post up and I will do my best to assit.

;-)

nick_j007 22:33 08 Jul 04

Oh dear.

I went in to the http:192 site and changed the Wep setting to 128 bit and let the programme sort its own key by my entering the admin password.

I am now as a result typing this from my partners laptop :-(

My laptop shows a connection and that it is very good too, but I cannot get to the internet (cannot find server). I think a restore is futile anyway as these settings reside with the 192 site that I can't access.

What a mess.

If I were to add the software from the disc I admit that it leaves me clueless anyway.

Inspiration anyone?

Lesson for the day?

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Thanks Gaz 25 for keeping a look in :-)

Nick

nick_j007 23:37 08 Jul 04

anyone?

The PC Doctor 23:41 08 Jul 04

When you entered a WEP key did you write it down?

You will need to enter the same key into the laptop's wireless card to connect

nick_j007 23:48 08 Jul 04

Um no.

I thought I wouldn't need to.

Now I'm feeling really stupid!

Thanks PC Doctor :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…