A Few Quick Questions Before I Start.

Fullywired 15:51 12 Apr 06

Hi Guys

I have jusr ordered A 3Com Wireless Router (3CRWE754G72-A), 3 USB 2.0 54Mb/s Dongles and a HP OfficeJet 7210 for my dads office. the PC's to be networked will be a Sony Vaio PCG-L1M, a Gateway 500Mhz Pentium 3 PC, and an Athlon 64 3000+ System That i built. The Laptop and Printer are to go in the office outside the house, the Pentium 3 will be downstairs clse to the router and the Athlon 64 will ber upstairs in my room, just want to know a few things;

1. The Talk Talk Broadband to be shared is a 1Mb/s connection, i know that most connections dial 0,38 to connect as is the default setting of the Router, however, when i connect to talk talk, it only dials 0 woth nothing following it and the phone number in the properties box is "adsl" what settings will i have to put in the router to dial this correctly?

2. The printer is capable of Faxing, however, i don't have the slightest clue how to set this up. before, my dad had an old fax machene with a handset that rang and you pressed a button to recieve it and it was just connected into the phone line. however, the HP Printer capable of Fax only has an ethernet socket, can ths be used in the same sort of way or do i need some sort of Fax server?

3. Maybe not a networking question but i have been installing the extra networking tools from the add/remove windows components section and it has worked on both the laptop and my PC, however on the Pentium 3 it says taht files are missing from the CD, when it shows the files as being on the CD, i have tried 3 different copies of the CD and still no joy, could it be the CD Drive?

4. How can i set up Network Monitoring so that i can log everything that goes on, e.g sites visited, files opened/downloaded ect.

5. Is my ISP likely to be happy with me sharing the connection and if not, is it possible for them to find out?

Regards

Fully

Aargh 20:18 12 Apr 06

1.Can you connect at all? If you are connected to ADSL your router does not need to'dial' - your connection will be a PPPoA connection and your router can be set up to assign all the settings directly from your ISP (IP addresses etc)-all you need to give the router is your ISP username & password or whatever they need for you to log on - theres no phone number to put in.

2. The PC on which the document is created is your fax server - you need software capable of converting documents for transmission by fax - MS Word can do this and you either then use fax software or an internet fax service.

3. Assuming all your PC's are using the same OS I don't know any obvious reason why one wont copy the files. Could be several reasons.

4. Internet Explorer,Netscape & Firefox browsers are capable of all that - depends if you want whole network control from one PC, or are happy to log onto each one and check each browser to see where its been.

5. Depends what you mean by sharing - you have one connection and one contract - you can connect as many PC's as you like to your network subject to the download limit in your contract - obviously if you intend to use 3 PC's a lot on a small download limit you will be using it 3 times as fast!

Fullywired 12:22 13 Apr 06

1. i ahve not yet got the router, in the instructions i read at click here it says: "The next step requires you to enter the username and password that was given to you by your ISP. The router should by default have the correct UK settings for VPI/VCI and Encapsulation as shown below, if they are not as shown obviously change them" and the default shows at 0,38 however mine does not use 0,38, its just shows up as "adsl" as shown in this picture. click here
just want to know if i should put "adsl" in the connection box when i install the router.

2. so i cannot recive fax's sent to my phone home phone number? of do i need to contact someone a(e.g my ISP) and sort this out?

3. its ok, i made a copy and mounted it to daemon tools and its sorted, i think its a faulty CD drive.

4. i would prefer to be able to check, even when the other PCs are off, from one PC, is it possible to create 1 log file for the whole network?

5. do not have a download limit although i will be sure to check the fair usage policy with my ISP and i know that some ISPs aren't too keen on people networking their connection around the home when not using their own hardware.

mgmcc 12:37 13 Apr 06

<<< in the instructions i read at click here it says: "The next step requires you to enter the username and password that was given to you by your ISP. >>>

I assume you are aware that these details go into the *ROUTER* settings and not the PC? When you install a router, it is the router and not a PC networked to it which connects to the ISP.

<<< The router should by default have the correct UK settings for VPI/VCI and Encapsulation as shown below, if they are not as shown obviously change them" and the default shows at 0,38 however mine does not use 0,38, its just shows up as "adsl" as shown in this picture. >>>

That picture is a connection dialog box in the PC, the VPI, VCI and encapsulation settings are configured in the router. The PC doesn't connect to the internet at all, the router does and the computer gets its access over the LAN from the router.

Fullywired 12:42 13 Apr 06

yes i know this, however, the router settings have to be inputted to the router via a PC, however my current setup with an ADSL modem on 1 computer shows as dialing adsl, whereas the default settings for most broaband companies is 0,38 so when i set up the router, do i leave it at 0,38 or shpuld i change it to "adsl"

Regards

Fully

Forum Editor 19:40 13 Apr 06

Your router doesn't dial anything, so forget about that aspect of things.

If you want to receive inbound fax messages on a multi-function device you must connect it to a phone line - via the ADSL mocrofilter. Leave the machine switched on, and it will receive faxes without it being necessary to have a computer running.

Fullywired 21:29 13 Apr 06

ok thanks but how is it connected to the phone line, it only has ethernet!

Regards

Fully

Aargh 21:36 13 Apr 06

The router should have a phone cable coming out the back! It's in the pictures in your attached link! Plug it into an ADSL filter then plug the filter into your phone socket!

The ethernet cable then connects your router to a PC.

Fullywired 21:42 13 Apr 06

i meant the printer, so i assume that i can connect the printer to the ethernet socket on the laptop, leave it all on and it will recive faxes automatically?

Regards

MM

Forum Editor 01:07 14 Apr 06

are we talking about here?

keewaa 08:56 14 Apr 06

<<<<<<yes i know this, however, the router settings have to be inputted to the router via a PC, however my current setup with an ADSL modem on 1 computer shows as dialing adsl>>>>>

I think you're confusing the way a USB adsl modem works with the way an adsl router works. Although the USB 'appears' to dial up, it is only picking up the signal and setting the modem and PC to use it.

An adsl router does not need to use the 'dial up' utility to connect. You log into the router via a browser (192.168.0.1 or similar) and set everything up, then it does all the work behind the scenes and is always connected when it is on.

It sounds like the printer is only printing faxes received by the computer, but as FE says, what's the model number.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac