A few questions about remote access

Ikelos 17:10 04 Feb 06

hi, first, could i use remote access if my pc is XP and the other one WIN98, if so, how do i start and would it give me all of the pc as if it were mine.........thanks

PaulB2005 17:19 04 Feb 06

No.

If they were both XP then yes.

PaulB2005 17:21 04 Feb 06

Hmm. click here

This software package will install the client portion of Remote Desktop on any of the following operating systems: Windows 95, Windows 98 and 98 Second Edition, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0, or Windows 2000. (This is the same version of the client software as in Windows XP Service Pack 1.) When run, this software allows older Windows platforms to remotely connect to a computer running Windows XP Professional with Remote Desktop enabled.

Ikelos 17:23 04 Feb 06

thanks for that, I will ring my daughter and see if she wants to give it a try...

PaulB2005 17:27 04 Feb 06

Hang on. I think i have Remote Desktop (which allows users to log in to the desktop on a PC running XP Pro and retireve files and e-mails) and Remote Assitance (where you take over a PC and control it) mixed up.

To use Remote Assistance, you will need:

• Two computers running Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition. The computer receiving assistance and the computer providing assistance must both run Windows XP.

Can anyone clarify the difference?

PaulB2005 17:35 04 Feb 06

click here

With exception of the line "This service requires you have Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger installed on your computer to receive the remote assistance request." it's pretty clear.

i don't think you do need "Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger installed " as you can receive the invite by e-mail or even floppy disk. In fact any method that allows you to transfer one file from one PC to another.

Ikelos 17:37 04 Feb 06

oh, might be easier for me to drive over there, her win98se Evesham is running dead slow, no doubt one of her two kids have got something down from MSN messenger...and not for the first time...

FreddyNoFriends 18:43 04 Feb 06

I had a similar problem on my old computer and I found that running Adaware and Spybot got rid of a lot of crap and my machine worked faster as a result. You may also want to try a defrag (Maintainence wizard) if it's not had one for a while...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5