A Few Graphics Problems:

Mad Boy 20:18 08 May 03

Please read carefully, i will explain as best i can.

About a week ago i formatted my PC, now recently when ive being trying to work with graphics several problems have being happening. As I design games ive being having a problem with the transparency. For example i store all my data on CD-R for backup and reference, on one of these disks i stored an example of game which used one character moving etc. Earlier i opened that example and run it, the difference being now was that the character had a white box around it as if it wasnt transparent (remembering it wasnt like this before format). Now when i try putting any graphic into my Game Making program it doesnt display transparent correctly. I dont think its the game making program as i tried re-installing. I cant proceed making my games as the sprites dont look right.

Is this happening due to its image format (ive being using gif, Jpeg, BMP)?

Is there a way or a tool to make sure these images are transparent, or am i doing something wrong?

I will explain better if needed, Also im using Windows 98 SE.

Thanks For Your Help

Joe McG 20:29 08 May 03

Mad Boy,

I don't really know if this is related, but i use photoshop 6 for photo-editing, and can not save anything with a transparent background as a jpeg or bitmap. I can only do this by saving as a Psd, the propriety format.

Maybe when saving the to CD you might have to use a different format for saving.

Hope this helps you.

Mad Boy 20:33 08 May 03

so should i get a Demo of Photo shop and see if that works?

Joe McG 20:41 08 May 03

Mad Boy,

It does work, but i'm also pretty sure that there are other formats which also work, and would save the expense of photoshop.

Have a look here, and i'm sure it will have all the info you will need. click here=

Best of luck. Joe

Joe McG 20:44 08 May 03

the link is not working.
Open google and type "how to save transparent backgrounds" (without the " . This will take you to lots of info you need.

Mad Boy 20:44 08 May 03

Thanks Mate!

Mad Boy 20:44 08 May 03

Thanks Mate!

But that link didnt work :(

Pesala 23:27 08 May 03

If you want transparency, you must use GIF not JPG nor bmp. Use Irfan View click here to covert to GIF and get the index to use for the the transparent colour from the palette. Match the colour to your background and note the index of the same colour in the palette when saving your GIF.

Mad Boy 02:17 09 May 03

I have irfanview, ill try that thanks. Oh i have being saving my images in gif format :)

Mad Boy 02:23 09 May 03

Nope still doesnt work :(

Mad Boy 02:32 09 May 03

Could my graphics card of caused this?

I just tried changing from True 32 Bit to High 32Bit and it worked!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…