Few broadband questions

carolineann 19:21 20 Nov 04

Just install BT broad band this week need to check

on a few things.

Do I still need all my antivirus,adaware reg cleaner

etc, etc,

What,s best leave the computer on all the time,

or shut down at night? I would be grateful for a few opinions .

AubreyS 19:23 20 Nov 04

I would say 1. Yes!!!!! and 2. Does not matter.

VoG II 19:28 20 Nov 04

" Do I still need all my antivirus,adaware reg cleaner" - yes, even more so. You should also get a firewall. Zone Alarm click here is free.

We've had many debates on here about whether to switch off or not. I'm an always on person but it is up to you.

Technotiger 19:28 20 Nov 04

Anti-virus definately, also essential Firewall, such as Zone Alarm, and Ad Aware too. Keeping it on all the time is entirely up to you. I have all above with my BT Broadband, and I switch off several times each day, depending on whether I am home or not. Enjoy. btw, make sure you update Virus/ZA/AdAware daily.

Forum Editor 19:31 20 Nov 04

1. Yes, keep all your shields up.

2. Disconnect at night. I do.

There's a lot of rubbish talked about ADSL connections, and when broadband was relatively new I remember one forum member saying that he was leaving it connected permanently because "I'm paying for it, so I'm going to make sure I get it".

If you leave your connection running day in and day out you'll be sitting there on what amounts to a fixed IP address - it will be like a little flashing beacon in the dark of the internet, saying 'here I am, I'm on a nice, steady IP address - plenty of time for you to try to hack my computer".

Hacking attempts on personal machines are mercifully very rare, but they do happen. Why tempt fate by leaving your connection running when you don't need it? Disconnect when you go to bed, and reconect in the morning if you work at home. The connection will always be there when you need it.

stalion 19:38 20 Nov 04

BT broadband has it's own firewall make sure you enable it.
Regards

Technotiger 19:48 20 Nov 04

Go to click here click on Shields Up to get a free check of just how secure your pc is, it only takes seconds. You can make your pc invisible to hackers with for instance, Zone Alarm.

CurlyWhirly 20:01 20 Nov 04

I agree with all comments above.
As broadband is an 'always on connection' it is more important than ever to make sure your PC is adequately protected.
Welcome to the fast-lane by the way!

Djohn 20:05 20 Nov 04

I leave my PC running 24/7 except for the odd occasions of a reboot after installing an aplication or update.

Broadband. I connect first thing in the morning and disconnect if I'm going out for more than an hour or so or just before logging off at night.

carolineann 22:05 20 Nov 04

FE and everyone else for the advice.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Technotiger.

Have just run shields up and it seems my computer is

safe.

So I am going to leave everything just as it is.

I have McAFee fire wall at the moment and it is obviously doing a good job.Thanks again all.

Djohn. Nice one :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…