A few Abit Nforce NF7 - S v2.0 questions

The Transporter 10:20 01 Aug 03

Hi all

Im thinking of getting the above mobo. Many reasons, one is i can get 8x AGP so i can get a new G.Card as well. As i only support upto 4x on my MSI KT3 Ultra 2-R.

I read a review of the abit and was wondering if anyone here has used it too.

What did you think of the serillel adapter to make normal 3.5 inch ide HDD fit a serial ata lead.

Also does using the onboard sound, which is very good it seems, take anything from system performance, as i do have a creative soundblaster card, to use as a seperate sound card. Or should i stick with the onboard sound?

Also does the v2.0 come with the latest bios as i have read that it still requires a bios flash even after perchase. It is to cure the pc from not even starting if the FSB is clocked to high. #

Thanks all

:-)

pluff 10:35 01 Aug 03

Toying with buying this too for another build.
Abit NF7-S or Msi K7N2 delta ilsr a real dilema

The Transporter 17:03 01 Aug 03

so it's ready for the evening crew :-)

The Sack 19:24 01 Aug 03

Difference between 4X and 8X is negligible so don?t loose any sleep over it.

SATA converter works a treat but if it is a revision 1 and you are using a UDMA 133 drive you have to drop it to UDMA 100 (no real loss TBH) to avoid data corruption

Onboard sound it better than an Audigy 1 and uses less CPU cycles as the NF7-S has a dedicated APU for the sound and does not use the CPU.

Abit release BIOS for the NF7-S at least once a month so far so you?ll have to bite the bullet at some point anyway.

For audio/CPU usage click here

maby66 20:23 01 Aug 03

opinions and info on this board can be found at the overclockers uk forums.

its a very popular board with people who regularly o/clock their components, so I would expect "normal" use to not stress it too much....

was looking at one myself until I got a good deal on an Asus board....

The Transporter 10:15 02 Aug 03

Any other comments?

BillEmm 12:53 02 Aug 03

and its a very good board. Pity about the nForce 2 chipset!

I am currently trying to get some sense out of Abit re Firewire and USB devices 'dropping' when other devices are added. They are taking a very long time to produce an answer and that is not encouraging. The data is currently in the Far East being evaluated.

Also, if you have an IDE Zip drive you must use the Microsoft generic drivers - the nVidia ones cause a conflict between the chipset and the device. (Abit/nVidia recommendation).

On-board sound is very good, SATA - no problems, runs my XP3200+ Barton with twin 512MB Corsair sticks quite happily and uncomplaining about 8X Graphics. I haven't tried overclocking (don't see the point) but Abit boards are renowned for their flexibility in this area. As I say - good board except.....

Just an added thought.

Bill

slimbo51 12:59 02 Aug 03

Fitted one of these a couple of months ago in mine.

Found it to be very stable, and with out a single prob.

I use a 5.1 s/card instead of on/board sound, but remember to disable o/b sound if u do.

Also do not put o/b audio drivers on ur h/drive from off the m/board disc.

If u do by mistake remove them before putting in the 5.1 driver.

The proc clips a bit fiddly when fitting the h/sink, be careful not to scratch the m/board.

I also used the pc2700 ram chips (512mb) 333 ddr and bought them as a matched pair (256mb) each stick.

My m/b is the nv7 so their is no serial h/d output on it.

Got 2 40g h/drives on primary ide, and a dvd plus cdrw on secondary.

Never had any conflicts or setup probs at all and as such consider it to be well made and reliable.

The Transporter 14:46 02 Aug 03

Especially about the Zip disk as I use one.

When you talk about usb devices "dropping" do you mean that the pc thinks they have been disconnected?

:-)

BillEmm 18:42 02 Aug 03

That just about describes it. The device just disappears from the system - no entry in Device Manager and not addressable.

In the case of a Firewire CDRW it has to be switched off then on again before being re-recognised. The same with the ADSL USB modem. If I switch on another USB 2.0 drive it just does not get recognised if there are more than three external Firewire/USB 2.0 devices already operating.

Its not a power problem as I have monitored the PSU supply output and it is a 450Watt quality item. All the devices, apart from the modem which is powered off a hub anyway, are powered off their own units.

Bill

ellas 23:00 02 Aug 03

good nforce forum here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…