Feint Lines are rising on Monitor

Wellpastit 19:55 05 Jul 03

I have started noticing feint grey lines about 6mm apart rising upwards on my 2yr old HP M70 Pavillion monitor.
I have the latest updates on XP Home, and use the 4200 nVidia card.
Edges of objects on the screen appear to wavy if I increase the Refresh rate to the max 85 fps.
I am using 72 fps with full hardware acceleration, 1024x768 at 16bit colour.
But before this started I could use any available setting without noticable effect.
Is it a Monitor fault?, Card fault?, The interior of my case runs at 35 to 38 degrees C, and the AMD 2200+ runs about 3 degrees higher.
I have used the degalviniser, and ensured that there is no dust in my case.
I dont want to buy another Monitor and still have the problem
Help please - wellpastit

VoG II 19:59 05 Jul 03

Can you borrow another monitor and try that? Without doing that it's difficult to know whether it is the monitor or the graphics card.

Wellpastit 23:04 06 Jul 03

Thanks VoG but if I had access to another monitor then wouldn't I have tried that first before comming here.
I hope someone will know the cause of the fault.
Is it to do with interlacing.

DieSse 23:21 06 Jul 03

<<I hope someone will know the cause of the fault. Is it to do with interlacing.>>

It could be to do with many things, but it's most likely to ba a fault in the monitor. That's why it's essential to prove that one way or another before you decide what action to take.

And the way to prove it's the montior or not, is the very sound advice already given to you.

If you can't borrow another monitor, then take your monitor somewhere else and check it out.

powerless 23:23 06 Jul 03

Or if you have another grpahics card try that.

jazzypop 23:23 06 Jul 03

Possible causes - most likely first -

1. Interference from an unshielded source (e.g. speakers, floursecent strip starter moter, or 1001 other devices)

2. Failing monitor

3. Dodgy VGA cable / pin contacts on plugs

4. Incorrect .inf file for the monitor, or older graphics card drivers

5. Failing graphics card

jazzypop 23:25 06 Jul 03

floursecent? I suppose that is close enough to fluorescent

It's one thing to own a spell-checker ... but quite another to remember to use it :)

Stuartli 08:43 07 Jul 03

I think you also mean faint lines (feint lines are those in a notebook etc) and degaussing..:-)

If you "degalvinised" your monitor it would be, obviously, the opposite of galvanising it into action...:-(

It's probably being caused by a failing component in your monitor - any good TV repair workshop should be able to sort it out if none of the above suggestions by forum members bear fruit.

Jester2K II 08:56 07 Jul 03

So is it sorted then?? If so what was the answer??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…