FE..how about a 'stickie'?

spanneress 23:00 09 Aug 04

It strikes me that the regulars post the same reply many many times...not their fault..the person seeking help does not use the search facility or does not know the root of their problem.

In particular, the reply which links to Spybot, Adaware, CWShredder, A2 etc etc must be time consuming and a little tedious for the more regulars to continually offer...

Is there anyway to post a stickie for newbies who could read before posting with an indication as to what sort of problems these apps could help with? Is this feasible?

Just a thought.

Chegs ® 23:02 09 Aug 04

This has been asked of PCA over several subjects,and its just not going to happen. :-)

spanneress 23:04 09 Aug 04

Oh..ok. Apologies in that case. I just notice that that particular example arises on a daily basis..also how to format / re-install.

I'll get my coat..................

woodchip 23:06 09 Aug 04

The only problem with that is like all else to do with computer software does not stand still long enough for to post a sticky note. i.e. what works today may out of date tomorrow, but I understand what you are saying.

VoG II 23:10 09 Aug 04

As stated above, the question has been asked before. Apparently not feasible.

Plus, us cut and paste merchants would be out of "a job".

spanneress 23:14 09 Aug 04

Ha ha..I wondered how you responded so quickly...I imagined you had a stash of folders in your favourites covering many common software scenarios!.. I have a go occasionally, but by the time I look up the addy's in Google, cut and paste etc etc..you or one of the others beat me to it!!!

What a top job you do!!!!!!

powerless 23:22 09 Aug 04

How ironic.

end 23:32 09 Aug 04

however; if you look at the left-hand of this page, below the block with the "latest threads"; could be space for "find info on e.g spyware, adaware, " with links to the various threads; ( or shall I just walk away quietly with the white coats in tow....)

stalion 23:34 09 Aug 04

are they there then (the white coats)lol

Dan the Confused 23:42 09 Aug 04

Yes, I'm sure plenty of people would use it...Like 'Contact the Forum Editor' ;)

Forum Editor 23:43 09 Aug 04

but experience shows that sticky threads don't work for long, and as woodchip says, the content has to be continually updated.

I imagine that many of our regular forum helpers have devised methods whereby they have stock answers ready in Word files or whatever, which they paste straight into threads as required. I keep promising myself that I'll do that, but I never seem to get enough time to set it up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5