stenrue 16:30 25 Mar 05

Good day,

Interested in obtaining some feedback in regards to my website. Any and all critiques will be appreiciated.

Best regards,

Doug Stenrue
click here

Forum Editor 19:24 25 Mar 05

But in my view it's doomed. I can see how hard you've worked to design and develop the site, but I fear you've lost touch with your audience. I'm on a 2MB broadband connection but your intro took forever to load. Worse (and in my view a cardinal sin), you have no 'skip' button, so all visitors will have to sit and wait......but they won't. They'll give up long before the intro fires up, and they'll click off somewhere else.

Flash sites were all the rage a couple of years ago - I can remember a time when I couldn't talk to a client about a new web-design project unless I used the 'Flash' word at least once in the meeting. Now I use Flash less frequently, and then only as a component - I would never design an all Flash site today. It's true that with the increase uptake of broadband services Flash sites should be less of a disadvantage, but it doesn't seem to be working out that way. Corporate clients are asking for a clean, elegant static look - at least mine are.

I found your site interesting, as I said, but there are some issues. I found a dead link - the word "amateur" didn't lead me anywhere - and my browser closed all your pop-up windows smarter than a smart thing.

Orange text (is it Georgia?) on a black ground on your 'Who?' page made it difficult to concentrate - the font isn't right in my opinion. I suggest you try good old Verdana.

Your 'Home' link didn't get me home, in fact it got me nowhere.

All a bit negative I'm afraid, but it's only my personal opinion; some people will probably love it, and I can see that you've worked very hard.

Boy Zone 19:50 25 Mar 05

For some one who looks up to how others achieve their web designs, I can only hope that one day I too will be able to achieve your skills.

smudge101 20:10 25 Mar 05

I agree with the FE about the orange text/Font but I guess he didn't have sound on with the 'Amatuers' link.

The navigation was not too bad once I got the hang of it and I find the fact that you splitt the navigation into two distinct part very interesting.

I see that you have games, Intros etc and I client log in. There is much about the site that I like and enjoy, but I am not sure that I have grasped the reason for the site (I presume there is one from the client log in)

All in all I like it, its fun.

PurplePenny 20:33 25 Mar 05

What was supposed to happen? I got the interminably long "Polecat Productions" screen followed by the green "approval" screen then ... nothing ... a blank black screen. I waited several minutes but nothing happened :-( I'm using Firefox.

Forum Editor 20:40 25 Mar 05

and there was nothing to tell me that I should. Lots of people don't have the sound on, in fact I imagine that the majority of the site's target audience won't have it on.

As I said, my view is a personal one, and I appreciate that it won't be shared by everyone, but I think the object of the exercise here is to evaluate the site from an objective point of view. It's a commercial site, aimed at businesses. It has a job to do, which is (presumably) to sell design services to commercial clients, and a link that relies on speakers being turned on isn't going to be effective.

I can't evaluate the client login part of the site because I'm not a client, but I presume there is client-specific information there - that's the usual situation in this context.

smudge101 09:49 26 Mar 05

I take all of your points as being valid, but as you said, the idea is to give an objective appraisal of the site. To do this as effectivley as possible as many people who are willing, should give their honest oppinion, which is what I have done.

I realise that there are going to be those who disagree with my opinion and accept that that is what it is all about.

I didn't experience any slow loading pages (I do agree there should be a skip option on the intro) and as I said, I couldn't really work out the purpose of the site. For all that, it did keep me interested enough to explore and the sense of fun with the little bits of humour that the site includes appeal to my sense of humour.

stenrue 12:44 27 Mar 05

Thank you all for your valued input. It's very much appreciated.

The purpose of my site? I really don't have one. Right know it's only a small showcase for potential future employment. Being an old guy learning to do graphic design by hand in the early 80's, I thought I'd try and see what I could do with a website.

My appologies for not stating it was meant for a faster connection speed.

Thank you all once again and I will certainly re-vamp things for the future.

Best regards,
Doug Stenrue.

Andybear 12:31 28 Mar 05

One little point.

"My appologies for not stating it was meant for a faster connection speed."

Not everybody has broadband, as can be seen from fourm member's post above. You might want to take that into consideration, even say something along those lines on the intro to the site. That way people will know and thus have the option of waiting ages for the site to load or to give up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…