feed back from a web site.

ch1wgs 20:19 15 Aug 04

Hi ppl, Im really new at web building, and there is something i would really like to know.

If i was to build a site where users could fill in a form, for example asking for details about something..i know how to build that but how does the information get back to the web builder. Is there something specific i have to have from the web space provider. Oh and im using Dream weaver if that helps.

The idea is for a caravan site, and i want people who visit it who want a brochure to input their details so i cand send one to them.

Would be grateful for any help.

Taran 20:29 15 Aug 04

A popular one is Matt's Script FormMail click here which is a CGI (Common Gateway Interface) program. This runs on the web server and emails you the form field contents.

You can get a PHP version click here or for another very good PHP form handler you could try Jack's Script click here (beware the pop-ups on this site).

It all depends really, on what your web host offers. Some web hosts have preconfigured form handlers which are copy and paste, so you could check your host out to see what they offer.

You could also write your own using any of the mainstream dynamic maguages, but CGI or PHP cover the most commonly available options on most shared hosting accounts, so the abovce links should get you going.

If your web host supports Microsoft FrontPage Server Extensions and you have access to FrontPage you could always use it to generate your forms. The beauty about FrontPage is that it has its own form handler built in which relies on your web host having the FrontPage Server Extensions installed. All you do is make your form in FrontPage and publish it. It saves all form submissions by default to a simple text file database and you can also specify an email address to send the form results to.

Good luck with it.

Taran 20:32 15 Aug 04

"...mainstream dynamic maguages" should obviously have read 'mainstream dynamic laguages'.

My apologies for the spelling errors.

I've had two glasses of wine and I'm not safe to be let loose on a keyboard...

;o)

Taran 20:41 15 Aug 04

laguages should have been languages...

Tell you what.

I'll give up now before I do myself an injury.

Sad really. Two glasses of wine and I'm anybody's.

;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…