Federation of Small Businesses (FSB)

Proclaimer 12:03 PM 14 Feb 08

Someone mentioned this organisation in a thread and I would like to know if anyone is a member or has been a member in the past.

If so, then what are the real benefits that you found made a difference, if any?

It looks like 'Business Link' with teeth! Is that the case?
Thanks.

Kemistri 16:38 PM 14 Feb 08

Yes, I am. I have been a member since going self-employed a few years ago. Benefits include:

- free business banking with the Co-op, which is increasingly hard to find elsewhere

- the networking opportunities and support

- the free legal advice helpline, which I have used a few times for various business and employment related queries

There are some other factors as well, so have a look at the FSB website.

wildrover 19:05 PM 14 Feb 08

Benefits include Kemistri's above, and also: they are lobbying organisation helping small businesses, and they also have a number of organisations who work with them to provide sertvices. A great deal with the Co-op has been mentioned, but they also have insurance, health, courier, factor, etc organisations on board. Not always the cheapest or best but a good starting point when you are looking for something new and you can always get a quote from what is known to be a reputable company and then compare.

probably the most useful benefit is the networking and support which Kemistri mentions. there are local/regional membership events which are great for finding trusted suppliers, customers, and recommended services such as accountants.

Business Link with teeth they aint!

spuds 16:55 PM 22 Feb 08

I was involved with the FSB in its fledgling days, when regional areas where very few and limited. At the time I thought that the FSB was heading no where perhaps, but it appears to have proved me wrong!.

Proclaimer 22:42 PM 22 Feb 08

I have just been talking to them now as well, seems like the same deal but actually have offices in my town.

Anyone heard of them?

Kemistri 22:50 PM 22 Feb 08

No, I can't say that I have. It's probably a regional or even local organisation. The FSB and Chamber of Commerce are the big players in business support. Then there's Business Link for an info resource: click here

Proclaimer 22:53 PM 22 Feb 08

I need , actually I don't know what I need that is why I am looking at these groups. To push my mind in directions I would dismiss or not even see as well as support me when it's all a 'bit too legal'.

barfly 17:41 PM 05 Mar 08

I have been with F.S.B. now for the last 15 yrs the cost is £80 per annum subscription and in the past they have acted for me in a dispute with the tax man on that occasion they not only removed the worry factor they saved me £4000.00 so i would recomend anyone in business to contact them and get on board and as already mantioned by others they have a great range of other benefits

EmmaS 10:17 AM 12 Nov 08

The free legal advice alone is worth the subscription. :)

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries discuss Designing the Future

OS X Yosemite vs Windows 10: The Mac and PC operating systems go head to head UPDATED