FEAR game - overheating GPUs

researcher 18:06 30 Dec 05

I have the following (Evesham)PC System:
Motherboard: ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe (NForce 4)
Processor: AMD 64 3500, 1GB Ram.
Operating System: XP Home, SP2
Graphics: 2 Number LeadTek (WinTek) 6600 GT in SLI format. Latest driver NVidia 81.98.

I use my PC a lot for games and up untill now I have not had problems with the GPU. Games played include; Far Cry, Doom 3, Half Life 2, etc. However, I now have the game F.E.A.R. and within 30 minutes the game is stopped (by WinFox monitor, back to the Desktop) due to the GPUs overheating (this occurs at around 81 degrees C). Thereafter, every five or ten minutes the same thing happens. The 'normal' GPU opperating temp[erature is 45 to 54 degrees C.

Any ideas as to why the GPUs are overheating?

I note that the critical temperature as advised by WinFox software is 100 degrees C – is this correct? If so, how can I raise the WinFox 'stop' temperature?

Oh, frame-rates are great, with the test average at 70-73.

Cheers

Belatucadrus 18:19 30 Dec 05

The card is fan cooled, is the fan OK ?

Totally-braindead 18:55 30 Dec 05

Have you checked that the graphics cards fan is still working?

Totally-braindead 18:56 30 Dec 05

Sorry Belatucadrus missed that you'd already asked that and are waiting for a response.

researcher 18:58 30 Dec 05

Good thought! Just checked and both working - as are the Power supply, CPU and M'board fans.

There is a perspex blanking plate at the back of the case (where a case fan might go), I'll try removing that though it may upset the air flow.

Totally-braindead 19:06 30 Dec 05

The motherboard fan you mention, is that a fan connected to the motherboard and mounted on the case or are you on about one on the motherboard such as a Northbridge fan. If so and you don't have a case fan at all then I would suggest trying to get one of them tommorrow and see what that does.

woodchip 19:08 30 Dec 05

Extractor fans a better fitted in the back if pos

citadel 19:08 30 Dec 05

Have you got a front case fan that draws cold air in. I find this is good even if it gets a bit chilly round the ankles. I played fear right through with no crashes.

woodchip 19:11 30 Dec 05

If you have the System box in one of those pathetic Computer desk cubby holes take it out so air can get round and out of it

researcher 19:17 30 Dec 05

Thanks for all the responses.

The M'board fan is on a chip, not in the case and there is no case fan.

The PC is on the floor in the open so that's not the problem.

Though fitting an extra fan may well help, I'd still like to know why there is the problem with overheatring when the frame rates are so good.

woodchip 19:27 30 Dec 05

Quick test remove side from Computer. See what temps are and if it will keep running

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…