Fdisk in xp ?

whiters 10:58 28 Aug 03

Hi all, please can someone tell if it is possible to fdick in win xp, as my drive is such a mess i want to wipe it clean and start all over again. Also as i`ve never done this before some advice would be greatly appreciated.

mark500 11:07 28 Aug 03

Just boot with the XP cd and re-install after formatting the drive.

temp003 11:08 28 Aug 03

During XP Setup, you will have the chance to delete existing partitions and create a new partition, and format the new partition.

Boot up the computer with the XP CD, enter XP Setup, your choice is always to install a fresh copy of XP. When asked where to install XP, you'll see your existing partitions displayed.

If you think you need to delete the existing partition, highlight the partition and press D to delete. Highlight unpartitioned space, press C to create new partition. Enter partition size in MB. Then highlight the newly created partition, and choose to install there. You'll be given formatting options, choose format with NTFS (or FAT if you prefer). Then just follow through the installation.

temp003 11:12 28 Aug 03

If you don't think you need to delete the existing C partition, then it's like what mark 500 says, just highlight the existing partition to choose to install the fresh copy of XP there. You'll be warned about another copy of XP being in that partition already. Just go ahead. Ultimately you'll be given formatting options. You must then choose format with NTFS or FAT. Do NOT choose "leave existing file system intact", even if it's already using your desired file system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…