Fdisk will NOT recognise my HardDisk ???

lloydsj 14:32 02 Feb 03

I bought a new harddisk yesterday, and i cant get it to work. In my bios it recognises the drive fine (says it is 30 gig, which is right)... but when i go into fdisk to partition it and set it up it says it is only 2 gig. I have got win98 and win95 boot disks for my computer, and both the versions of fdisk on these disks are doing the same thing. Anyone had a similar problem? I have basically run out of ideas about how to get it working.. and i dont want to but a ide controller as im skint, plus it should work fine anyway. I was thinking that maybe its my bios that needs updating, but as it seems to be recognising it ok, im not sure.

My computer is a PII MMX 233, and my motherboard details are as follows... (not sure which ones are needed).

Award Modular Bios v4.51PG
P2BXA Ver 1.0
5/12/98 i440BX-W977TF-2A69KTPAC-00

My new harddisk is a...

30Gb Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 - ATA-133 (7200rpm, 2MB Cache)

Im going to install partition magic now, to see if that has any look at seeing my drive being bigger than 2gig.

Please help! Cheers.

Rtus 14:43 02 Feb 03

Ive a feeling you wont get it recognised by the board however use powemaxII download from Maxtor website Then enter bios and set the IDE channel to user and input the drive parameters (on the hard drive cover) something like 1024 cl 16 hds 63 sectors ..then save exit from bios and boot with powermax util it will drive overlay the unit allowing full access to the drive.I would not attempt a bios flash it may not work/help the situation.

Rtus 14:46 02 Feb 03
  Ironman556 15:03 02 Feb 03

As Rtus says you need a DDO to recognise the drive. I have the some problem, only have data I need on the drive :-( and am not sure if/how I can install the DDO without losing my data. If it helps my BIOS recognises my drive as a 33.8 GB, Size: 33816, Cyls: 4111, Head: 255 (my other 20GB drive also has 255 heads listed), Sector: 63, Mode LBA.

Good Luck.

woodchip 15:15 02 Feb 03

You need a 98 boot disc that will use fat32 click here

DieSse 15:25 02 Feb 03

I'm not clear what your problem is - is the system working, with the full drive capacity - then you have nothing to worry about. If not, then I suggest you post in a new thread to avoid confusion.

BlueMeanie 16:50 02 Feb 03

Agree with the above. I believe that win95 and win98 first edition does NOT support FAT32 and is therefore limited to 2gb.

You need win98 SE (Second edition) or a later product, that supports FAT32. Methinks your PC is AOK as your BIOS correctly identifies your Hard Disk as 30Gb

lixdexik 17:32 02 Feb 03

i don't mean to put a spanner in the works..but early version of win98 does support fat32. i have just installed a maxtor 60 gig in my win98 system and all is fdisked and formated fat32 no probs.
I would like to help more but these things are out of my depth really (is it not that win98 can only cope with 2gig file size not hdd size)?

Cheers Lixdexik.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…