Fdisk problem

fritwash 16:25 27 May 04

I am attempting to partition a new 120gig Maxtor Drive. After enabling large disk support the drive is verified and is reported to be 11724 megabytes in size, surely that cannot be right.

Any ideas please

Diodorus Siculus 16:48 27 May 04

How old is the PC and what version is the BIOS? It may well be that the BIOS needs updating to recognise the large disk.

woodchip 16:49 27 May 04

OS it sounds like you are on winME or win98 You may need to download a Windows Large disc support from Microsoft

Eric10 16:54 27 May 04

Fdisk cannot be relied upon for large hard drives. Download Maxblast 3 from Maxtor's website click here or if you are going to install Windows XP just boot from the CD and you can do it during setup.

woodchip 17:00 27 May 04

Partion Magic or Acronis, do not us MaxBlast it creates its own file system, and can be problamatic after. It is easy to setup as any disc overlay software is but NOT FOR ME

fritwash 17:30 27 May 04

The machine is new and has a motherboard made by Gigabyte, a friend of mine built the system and left me to partition and then install Windows ME.
I recently partioned a slightly older machine with no trouble so find it strange that a brand new machine should give problems.

Where abouts should I look on the Microsoft website for Large Disk support.

Thanks for the responses, I am off to work now so will check for any other responses tomorrow.

Cheers

alan227 18:16 27 May 04

Go to this link.
click here;EN-US;126855

Rayuk 18:24 27 May 04

alan227 s link
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…