FDISK and Maxtor 80Gb; very strange behaviour!

FredM 20:38 22 Jan 05

I used FDISK on a new 8Mb Cache 7200rpm 80Gb HD.

Fdisk would only allow me to create a 11.2 Gb partition and nothing else. Eventually I made this active and installed Win 98SE to see what happens. Bios regnised the HD and its size.

In Win 98, the partition showed up as 7.9 Gb only, even though I set the size in FDISK at 10Gb.

I then installed Partition Magic 6 and presto the disk was fully recognised as being 80 Gb. I theb partitioned and installed Win XP and the system ahs performed normally and passed all the tests! As an insurance, Norton Ghost also confirmed the sizes and partitions which I created.

What's going on? I have used FDISK many times on all kinds of HDs and have never come across this.

OICUR2Y's4Me 22:34 22 Jan 05

Don't feel out of place FredM.
I've used fdisk when installing new hdd's into many computers and have run into this same problem many times, especially with hdd's 80gig and bigger.

dan11 22:54 22 Jan 05

click here

There is a new version of fdisk available, that can take disks upto 180gig.click here
from click here

Smegs 00:39 23 Jan 05

click here Goto here and chose your hard drive, and then download the software. This will enable you to have the full amount.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…