fdisk & format

the-george 18:14 21 Jun 06

I want to fdisk and format a drive that has had a dual boot (98 & XP) set up on Primary and extended drives.

I intend to put ME on the drive which is 20Gb capacity.

In fdisk it will not allow me to selete the extended drive until logical drives are deleted but then says no logical drives defined. If I try to delete non-dos drives it says there are none.
The extended drive is, I think, NTFS and when I stsrt the ME installation it warns me that the files on this drive will be unavailable. I do not want XP on this machine so this is unimportant. However, will I be able to use the space in this partition once ME is installed?

Is there any way of getting rid of this extended drive ( using an XP floppy?)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:49 21 Jun 06

It sounds as if logical drive is NTFS and extended is FAT

Fdisk cannot see a NTFS drive, windows cannot convert back fom NTFS to FAT.

The only program I know that can convert NTFS to FAT is Partition Magic 8.

wobblymike 18:49 21 Jun 06

Better way would be to use the manufacturers utility - do you now the make of your Hard drive?

mgmcc 20:24 21 Jun 06

<<< In fdisk it will not allow me to selete the extended drive until logical drives are deleted but then says no logical drives defined. If I try to delete non-dos drives it says there are none >>>

I seem to recall having this problem with a non-DOS drive in an extended partition and the solution was to create a DOS logical drive, then delete (1) the non-DOS drive, (2) the DOS Logical drive and (3) the Extended partition.

DieSse 20:48 21 Jun 06

This click here should set your drive back to blank, as if it were new.

You should then be able to fdisk and format exactly as you wish.

the-george 21:03 21 Jun 06

Thanks for responses.

I have a copy of killdisk - dont know why I didn't think of it - will try it out and let you know results but it shpould do the trick.

Terry Brown 21:08 21 Jun 06

On FDISK if you select option 4, it should let you check which drives are active.You cannot delete a drive that is not active.
If you have 2 drives you will find an option 5 on FDISK

the-george 20:17 22 Jun 06

Used Killdisk and then everything went exactly as it should with fdisk and format.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…